Homecoming

I'm finally back to visit my hometown

Ridgetown.

This is the place I grew up in. I know everything at the back of my hand: the coffee shop, the library, the music store, the mall, etc.

But coming back wasn't for vacation. I'm here because my grandmother is in the hospital.

She has some type of cancer, so her room is on a higher floor, and the view from her windows are breathtaking. You can see the inner part of the hospital which consists of the garden. The garden was built by a donor and is used by patients to relax and exercise without exerting a lot of energy.

So today, I had returned from shopping for gifts for my friends to visit my grandmother again. The room was dark, considering the blinds to her window were closed. As I opened the blinds to let more light in, I could see a few small figures in the garden below.

Two, actually. The two looked so similar to my old friends: Kara and her brother Kyle.

But as I looked closely, I could see Kara's pale figure. I watched as they completed the garden trail when the one who I assumed was Kyle, fell backwards, landing in Kara's shaking arms.

I watched as she yelled for help, as the nurse came by and took him to a room.

I've known Kara for as long as I can remember, she was like my sister since her parents were always busy with all that gang stuff. I know how she's feeling internally even though she says she's fine. And I can tell that even though her brother just fainted or could possibly be close to death, she's happy inside. 

But why?