Getting Back To The Swing Of Things

Two weeks went by and Cora had not stirred. Cain had not left the room since they arrived. He didn't sleep much and when he did he'd either fall asleep in the chair next to Cora or on the couch in her room. He fell asleep on the couch that night looking at the collar that was meant to be sent back that Cora never got to do yet.

Jerking from a bad dream, Cain sat up. He glanced over to see Cora sitting up some and Gobo by her with his head in her lap. "Where is my candy you owe me?" She asked.

Cain laid there, almost in disbelief. So many nights he had dreamt of her waking up now he just thought this was another one.

"How long was I out? Did Jeb get Kieran?" Cora spoke again.

Cain now knew he wasn't dreaming, "You're awake!" Quickly getting off the couch and rushing to her side, "How did you know Jeb went to get Kieran?" Finally registering what she said.

"I heard you talking. It was faint I got some things that were said. If I had more strength, I would freaking hit you for not eating."

Taking his usual seat next to her, "Jeb and a few of his men caught him three days after what they did to you."

Seeing the collar on the coffee table, "You know, that Alexander wrote to me while we were in Central City wanting that thing back. Will you send it back for me sometime today?"

"Sure." He answered.

"How long was I out and when did we return to Finaqua?" Seeing her room.

"You were out for two weeks and we returned here after Jeb returned."

Cora took Gain's hand into hers, "Thanks for saving me. I wish I was awake for it, you probably looked very hot."

Rubbing his thumb over her knuckles, "I was late. The damage was already done."

"What damage? You talk as if I'm dead."

"You were unconscious for two weeks. Damage like that."

Cora groaned, "If you're going to talk like that I'm going to punch you. But not now because I'm in a lot of pain with what feels like a broken rib. Then my broken leg which is obvious. Super hard to sit up. So when I punch you I want to have my strength and be able to hurt you."

"That's a little harsh. I'm only feeling guilty for not protecting you as I should. When I said I wouldn't let anyone take you I meant it."

Squeezing his hand, "Stop that, I didn't hook up with you to be protected. You do that for a living."

"Then why are you with me?" He asked her.

"Because I feel like I'm supposed to be here when I'm with you. Like I've found a home."

Cain moved to kiss her, "How is Gobo?" He asked sitting back down.

He got up and licked Cain's face before taking his spot next to her again, "That's him saying he is well." Scratching Gobo's head.

Drying his face off with his sleeve, "If I knew saying that damn cat's name was going to get me a wet face I would have never said it."

"Can you get me something to eat and drink? I am famished."

Getting up, "Right, right. I bet you are."

When he came back, Jeb was with him, but she had fallen back asleep. Cain set the tray of food down and brought Jeb back out in the hall.

"I need a favor," Cain said.

Putting his hands on his hips, "Sure anything. What is it?"

The suns were coming up when Cora woke. Cain wasn't in the room and she wondered where he got off to. When he returned Cora wasn't in her bed.