Chapter 6: We've only just begun

With her bags all packed and her hotel room cleared, Beca made her way to the lobby so she could check out of the hotel. The smile she had tugging on her lips never left, and the happiness she felt was practically oozing out of every pore of her body. She couldn't help it. And it was all thanks to the woman who came back into her life.

Beca still could not believe Chloe had agreed to see France with her. When she had asked her, the words uncontrollably stumbling from her mouth, she had no idea as to how she would react. Would she be thrilled? Happy? Upset? Appalled? She didn't know, yet, before she knew it, Chloe was kissing her again and whispering, over and over again, "Yes."

Chloe was going to see all of France with her. Chloe wanted to be with her. Chloe wanted to spend time with her. It all seemed like a dream. A cruel yet beautiful dream. But it wasn't, and Beca couldn't have been more grateful for that.

When she woke up this morning, she'd practically leaped out of bed and scrambled about to get her things together. She wouldn't be staying in this hotel any longer. Instead, Beca would be spending the next week with Chloe. And nothing could wipe the crocodile grin off of her face.

She was like this last night, too. As soon as Beca had called a taxicab for herself and Chloe, she had the redhead dropped off at her hotel. But, before she disappeared behind the double doors, Beca brought her in for a hug and a peck on the cheek, unsure if she'd want a kiss on the lips. She didn't want to risk anything, especially since Chloe already said yes. Beca didn't want her to suddenly change her mind just because she made the wrong move.

Beca didn't make the wrong move, though. Her lips barely met her cheek when Chloe suddenly turned her head, their lips crashing against one another's. It was a sweet kiss good-bye; the two of them feeling sparks ignite as soon as contact was made.

Letting out a deep sigh, Beca's mind replayed that kiss over and over again as she made her way to the front desk. After checking out of her room, she then asked the desk clerk if he could show her a few ideal places to stop and enjoy the scenery.

Pointing to a spot on the map, she looked back up at the man behind the counter. "What about here?"

"Oh yes, the city of Marseille is beautiful, mademoiselle. It is the second largest city in France, after Paris, of course." The man's accent was thick, so it made understanding him a tad difficult, but Beca managed. "If you go to Nice, France, then you will see all of the houses on the coast line. Very beautiful, too."

After more discussion, Beca eventually thanked the man and headed out of the hotel. She had the map, with several destinations and sites marked and circled. Now all she needed was the girl and a car.

——————

The bright morning sun shone down upon the beautiful city of Paris, lighting up the city in an array of yellows and oranges. Today was the day, and Chloe couldn't wait. She quickly packed her bags, throwing her clothes and other belongings into the suitcase without folding them or organizing it. She was in a rush; the quicker she packed her bag, the better. Double-checking the suite, she booked it downstairs to check out, her suitcase trailing behind her.

Chloe checked out of her hotel and, at a slower pace this time, made her way through the front doors and into the fresh morning breeze. Once the doors opened, she came to a halt in her tracks at the sight of the brunette standing there, a grin blossoming on her lips as she leaned against the rental car. A silver Buick Lucerne. Not bad. Not bad at all.

God, Beca looked so beautiful. Her eyes were concealed behind dark sunglasses that gave her a dark, brooding look to her. But that didn't last for long, because as soon as she saw her, Beca took them off and Chloe could see that her smile reached her eyes. They sparkled with joy and a hint of mischief.

She looked happy. Very happy.

Okay, this was it. Once she got into that car, there would be no turning back. Second-guessing herself, she hesitated to move from her current spot. Her feet felt like they weighed two hundred pounds each, holding her solidly to the pavement. What was she so unsure of?

It was just Beca.

Just the one woman she truly loved. Just the one woman who she desperately wanted to be with, but didn't know if she wanted the same thing.

All those uncertainties and insecurities she had felt yesterday came flooding back in massive waves, causing her eyes to brim with tears and her heart to pound loudly in her chest. She could do this. She could.

It was only Beca, not a big– actually, it was a big deal. It was a massive deal, but she couldn't let her know or see that. Although, Beca was always good at reading her, no matter how hard she tried to hide it.

Taking a deep, soothing breath, Chloe finally lifted one foot and began to walk forward.

"Hi," Beca greeted, bringing the redhead in for a hug. Her hugs were so warm and made Chloe feel so safe. She could stay in her arms forever and she would be the happiest person alive. She had to pull back, though. She had to be honest.

"You ready to hit the road?" Beca asked, wiggling her eyebrows up and down. She was so happy and Chloe was probably about to burst that happiness with just a few words.

Eyes cast on her feet and the cement ground beneath her; she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. Be honest. "I– uh..."

"You're second guessing all of this, aren't you?" Oh, she had her.

Voice shaking, she shrugged her shoulders indecisively. "Ye-yeah. Yeah, I am. What if this doesn't end up working? What if this ends up being all for nothing?"

Gripping her hands in hers, Beca pulled her in closer and held eye contact. "I know that all of those questions are going around your brain right now; they're going through mine too, but we shouldn't worry ourselves with the unknown right now. Let's just live in the moment."

Chloe was silent as she listened, keeping her focus on Beca as she spoke.

Beca went on. "I know you're scared. I am too. Believe me. But we can talk about this later, okay? For right now, how about you and I go see France together? Sound good?"

Nodding her head, she gazed back toward the ground as her words echoed through her head. She was right. Chloe shouldn't be so consumed with the future that she missed the present.

"Can I get a smile?" Beca teased, squeezing her hands and tilting her head to the side so as to grab her attention. "Come on, show me a smile."

Unable to help it when she talked like that, Chloe smiled brightly for the other woman. "How's that?"

"Beautiful," she beamed. "Okay, now are you ready?"

"Not quite. One more thing I have to do first."

"Oh yeah? And what's–"

Before she could even begin to finish her question, Beca's mouth was covered by Chloe's in a sweet kiss. One that lasted a few seconds too short. Chloe pulled back, wiping some lipstick off the corner of her mouth her thumb.

"Okay. Now, I'm ready." And with that, Chloe grabbed her suitcase and put it into the back seat before taking a seat in the front passenger seat of the car, where she waited patiently for Beca to join her.

Beca remained where she was, standing beside the vehicle, a hand raised to her mouth where Chloe's lips had once been. She would never grow tired of her kisses. Never. She tasted so sweet and Beca couldn't get enough. She could only hope there would be more kisses in the not-so-distant future.

"Becs?" Chloe's soft voice calling her name brought him back. "You coming? Or are you going to stand there like a statue?"

"Right. Right, coming." Running around the front side of the car, Beca hopped into the driver's seat, started the car, and with excitement practically radiating off of her, she turned to Chloe and said, "Here we go."