Chapter 22: I cross my heart

Before Beca and Chloe knew it, those four days were up and they were back in Paris. They leave tomorrow for New York, Beca had a scheduled flight in the morning and Chloe had one in the evening originally, but she was able to switch in order to get on the same flight as the brunette, which was something they were both grateful for.

So that made tonight their final night.

This wasn't goodbye. They'd continue this new relationship and journey with each other, the only difference being they'd be back home and not in Paris. And although their future together wasn't guaranteed, they were willing to take the risk, which was something neither would've said had they'd been asked two weeks ago.

They were in this together, for the long haul.

Over the course of those 10 days, Beca and Chloe had each found something they didn't realize they were missing.

Beca found her inspiration, but most importantly, she found herself. All these years she's been going through the motions, in turn losing herself along the way. And when fate intervened, she stepped out from the dark clouds that hung above her and out into the light.

It was all because of Chloe; she was his everything.

And Beca thanked whatever God was up there each day for giving the two of them a second chance, because had she not spontaneously run into Chloe, in Paris of all places, then she'd still be down on herself, unhappy and miserable.

Chloe saved her, and she'd be forever grateful.

But Beca wasn't the only one who had gained new insight on this trip. Chloe learned that life is too short for regrets, you've got to live in the now and make every moment count. After everything with Chicago and the heartache that she experienced when she decided to pull out of vet school, she didn't have anyone to guide her or care for her. That all changed when Beca met her eyes for the first time in two years on the steps of Montmartre.

After so many years apart, Chloe knew she was already in this with Beca as soon as she saw her. The brunette's love and care lifted her up and showed her a side to herself she'd merely forgot she had. She'd come to Paris to get away from life for a while, and it worked, at first. And yet, she hadn't been living until she saw the one woman she thought she'd never see again, and at that moment, her aching heart was at peace.

To say this trip of theirs was a wild, incredible, and life-altering journey, well, that'd be a massive understatement. It was all of those things and more. Much more.

So, as a final hurrah the couple decided not to do a fancy, candlelight dinner, but rather just spend the night together, whether that meant taking a walk around the city, ordering in, or never leaving the confines of the bedroom.

They decided to do all three.

Hand-in-hand, Beca and Chloe meandered around the city, its lights shining upon them in all their glory. They were attached at the hip, neither one broke contact or went without touching for more than a minute. There was no separating the two; they couldn't leave each other's sights if they tried.

The pair, if they were being honest with themselves, was in denial that this was their final night in paradise; it had gone by so quickly, and yet, it felt like it'd been forever at the same time.

"I can't believe we head back to New York tomorrow," Chloe said, saying out loud what they were both thinking.

"I know. Seems like it was yesterday when we first met up. Those 10 days sure flew by, huh?"

She nodded then looped an arm through Beca's. "I'm torn. It's like a part of me wants to go back, but at the same time—"

"You want to stay here forever?" Beca finished.