Chapter 3: The Quest

Previously: The Dark Knights storm the Imperial Palace. Their leader Lord Infinity hatches up a scheme that would rattle the Empire to its core. However, the Emperor assembles the first official United Imperial Forces to drive the enemy out. Yet with the first taste of victory comes the price of allowing treachery to seep into the Empire as a great persecution comes underway, with all the knights suffering under it.

Main quote: “We do not know what lies ahead but we are sure of what we seek.” (Christian)

  “Damned knights! Go away, you and your ilk, to the depths of the Inferno!”

  Stones were thrown from both sides. Serfs and Gray Knights were quarrelling over their rights to the harvest. Like the quarrel between two Orders over ownership, with the Chivalry Controversy spreading throughout the Empire like wildfire, no one trusted the Colored Order knights with anything.

  The lands of the serfs soon went to new tenants when the Grays were finally driven out on the 20th of April, sixteen days after the Dark Knights’ Invasion of Rome.

  April 21, 1205 A.D.

  Rome, Italy

  The Emperor enters the Library again. However, before he would reach the spot where he had laid the Imperial Sword to rest, Solus came, surprising the older man.

  “Your Majesty, may I have a word with you again in private?”

  The Emperor felt that he knew what was on his mind.

  “I see now.” He had heard the Emperor explain what he saw in the battle.

  “The Chronicler, your master, wrote of a similar occurrence but he knew not the cause.”

  “A surge of power coming from an ancient blade. That powerful blue energy gushing out of the Sword, what exactly was it?” The Emperor whispers to him, “That is the thing I wish to know myself.”

  They looked at each other, both asking the same kind of question and both men, knowing the secret, promise not to reveal it to the world, for fear of the coming storm that would shake the Empire.

  In Castle Infinity, Cultus examines five crystal orbs in his ritual room. Maximus goes in.

  “What is all this, Master Cultus?”

  There was a large circular stone monolith at the center of the circle of orbs that stood on lampstands connected to gigantic spinning golden columns underground, where men work endlessly to power the massive machinery behind it, powered by a watermill that gets water from what seems to be an underground channel that had actually originated from the river Rhine, meaning the Castle is in Germany.

  Suddenly, they see the orbs levitating in place. “What magic is this?”

  “The mechanism works then.” Infinity came out to greet them, his voice in the shadows of their midst.

  The two men bowed as he approached.  “Such a force and we were able to harness it. The moving golden columns we designed and made out of the Royal Vault’s gold reserves. Gold is a metal that conducts electrical energy, which is actually what the water wheels underneath your feet are producing.”

  “That is unbound potential, milord.” Maximus points out “Though alchemy was never my expertise.”

  “No, my friend. It is not alchemy but pure science. Nature has allowed me to tame it.”