Chapter 10: Third Jewel

Previously: Now two trials have been conquered. Where will the journey lead the heroes of the world?

Main quote: “Your journey is worth something. But…you are not worthy.” (Seraphim)

  “Well done. Now you can leave.” Hades congratulates them, with Cerberus, now a friendly-looking three-headed dog the same size as a regular large dog. “But I must warn you…”

  The fused Map pieces begin glowing, turning now into torn old paper, which reveals seven glowing colored dots. The Green one vanishes, the one in the Land of the Rising Sun. All that is left are six more. “The Jewels of the Crown of Glory.” Emperor Vincent notes with gleaming eyes.

  Three mysterious white squares appear on the Map as well.

  “Were there not seven jewels?” asked Christian.

  “The second piece, which you just claimed, reveals what has yet to be obtained, for it has Asia on it. The third piece fused to this fused Map piece reveals the unrevealed, the other side of the world.” This was the explanation of Orpheus, who knew all along what they were getting into since he held the third Map piece, known as the Key of Hades. “The Key also leads us to the items that can unlock the final location of the Crown of Glory or as the legends go.” Hades confirms this, being a Spirit who was tasked by the Spirit Realm to watch over the dead so that the living do not venture to claim the power of the Underworld, which was the Key of Life manifested as the fused piece of the Map of Destiny.

  “Hmm…the third jewel…” the Emperor notes, “is in Vesuvius, the Fire Ruby.”

  “You ought to claim that. Your opponent, Lord Infinity will come after all of the jewels one by one. Hurry now. Use the Key to return to Italy. I shall bring Orpheus back to Acheron. He has tried drowning in it before after trying to find his dead comrades who accidentally awakened the dead and got killed. I mean really. What would I do with human sacrifices? You should have just invoked my name, performed some old divination ritual to get my attention before you…what…killed other monks after that twelve-week old incident. Lucky for you this trip purified you or you would have been damned immediately.”

  “Hold on… Emperor, how did your left side…”

  “The Blue Armor can regenerate injuries dealt onto it. I allowed myself to be stabbed because I knew I would not be harmed. Though the protection does have limits.”

  Christian takes the Key and thrusts it through empty space, forming a dimensional door leading to Vesuvius. “This is the power of the Map of Destiny. To open doors man cannot open. I wish you the best of luck, Emperor Vincent. You will surely save us all.” The Emperor smiles and leaves.

  Hades and Orpheus have a one-to-one moment. “If your Christian priests can absolve you, go. Speak the truth. The Master has always told us to be liberated from our selfishness.” He opens his hand and Orpheus is enveloped in a flash of light that takes him to the river Acheron in Greece, where he is washed off and so he journeys back to the monastery. The Emperor and Christian are currently below the dead volcano.

  “Christian, return to Rome. There is something terrible I sense.” Christian feels it too and leaves.

  The fight in Japan ends at a stalemate. Marcus fights against…

  “Who are you?” he asks the man in samurai armor who managed to injure him severely as he had several cuts all over his body. The other man’s blade was still sparkling. Marcus took some of the kunai and a katana from a dead warrior he took down. Two other shadows come out but the foe just takes them down.