Chapter 8: First Defeat

Previously: There was trouble within the Empire as it divides itself, caught in the web of deception left by mysterious deaths and a band of unknown marauders. As it turns out, there was indeed a bigger scheme involved. The selection of the future Holy Roman Emperor would be wrapped in more than just political intrigue. Will judgment pass itself to the world or will the Emperor triumph in his own attempts to keep the world together even as he loses grip of the power he once had…to the force he calls the Curse?

The first jewel reveals itself…in the Land of the Rising Sun and heading there…is Lord Infinity. 

Main quote: “Moving forward, not regretting, will lead you to the eternal path, where your journey is the end and the end is in the journey. So walk in eternity, Chosen One.” (Tome of Knowledge)

  An attack left by the Grays alerts the German ministers, bringing up the matter of the near-assassination of the newly crowned King of Germany to the table…in the current Imperial Council Meeting.

  August 5, 1205 A.D.

  Rome, Italy

  “We cannot let this go on.”

  “Seize the men responsible to cease all defiance.”

  “We need control of the situation right now!”

  These words fell on deaf ears though. The Emperor was not in the mood for state affairs.

  His thoughts were focused elsewhere.

  To a memory in an underground chamber…

  “Not enough!” He managed to destroy all of the broken pillars there with the Cutting Edge but falls down as he loses consciousness, realizing he had used up so much power.

  “I am not there yet.” As he fades, he sees Infinity in his Chimera Form, taunting his weakness.

  “You are pathetic!” He sees the image about to punch him but his vision gradually diminishes.

   Yet his will stops him from touching the ground. He was just an inch close to falling…and he rises up, like Lazarus on the day his life was returned to him. The Emperor pushes through as his Weapon noticeably changes shape, like the Instrument Lord Infinity once wielded, which was used to siphon and coalesce the fusing powers. “Third Power!” The Sword suddenly turns to light…

  “WEAPON TRANSFORMATION!!!”

  An explosion occurs that wipes out much of the entire structure, which slowly breaks apart, already decrepit after years of disuse. Suddenly, the Weapon turns into a gigantic metal dome-like shield that protects the Emperor from the falling debris. Christian soon arrives at the scene, where the flashback ends with the Emperor seeing Brother Orpheus. By the way, Minister De Jure snaps him out of the trance.

  “YOUR MAJESTY!” The Emperor pays attention.

  Some of them murmur to themselves.

 “Sire, we were discussing on a possible solution to deal with the problem of the newly-crowned King of Germany.” De Jure says, a little bit of him not supporting his statement for he felt there was no point in telling him something he knew His Majesty might actually disagree at this point.

  “We will install the Royal Guard as temporary watchmen to ensure no other armed man can come close to the King. We will remove his old guard and give them the posts of the Royal Guard here.”

  This was the radical suggestion of the Minister of Assessment, a former German elector-prince, once again involving the elite Royal Guards of the Imperial Palace of Rome.