Some Down Time

"Kayden, wake up. we're here." I heard John say and felt him shake my shoulder gently. I groaned quietly before stumbling out of the car and looked around. We were in the middle of nowhere with some trailers scattered around, a chopper skeleton. I saw mom having her gun trained on a familiar man who was holding a shotgun and mom was signaling the terminator to stand down before lowering her gun.

John and I walked and stood beside the terminator as mom spoke Spanish and she and Enrique hugged before the man turned towards John with a wide smile. "Hey, big John."

"What's up?" greeted John.

"Big man Kay." Enrique gave me the same wide smile, making me smile back as well. He looked at the terminator, speaking in Spanish before John spoke up.

"He's cool, Enrique, he's with us. He's...uh..." He glanced over at me before his eyes showed some mischief. "Uncle Bob-"

The name caused the terminator to look down at John but the boy wasn't done yet.

"-Kayden's boyfriend."

both I and mom shot John a look and he just looked at me innocently.

"Uncle Bob, this is Enrique." John introduced the two.

"Uncle Bob, huh?" Enrique glanced between the now named terminator and I and he didn't look convinced, not that I can blame him. "Okay."

A woman walked over and hugged John before hugging me next. I don't remember her name, mostly because I wasn't here all that much, it was mainly mom and John who visit here.

Once she moved away and Enrique was distracted, Bob looked down at John. "Uncle Bob?"

John could only shrug and it was my torn to look down at him. "Boyfriend?"

"Enrique did tell you to not come back until you had one."

"You three," mom cut through our conversation. "You're on weapons detail."

****
***
**
*

John and I watched as Bob pulled the chain that was connected to door to the bunker and moved the said door aside, revealing ammunition first. Bob went down first, then John, who Bob helped and them me.

"One thing about mom," John began as he took all the boxes and such in. "She always plans ahead."

We began to look around, Bob walking on ahead, muttering an excellent when he found a gun, one I wasn't sure what type it was.

"See, I grew up in places like this. "John told Bob. "So I just thought that's how people lived. riding around in helicopters, learning how to blow shit up."

We both looked at Bob and saw that he was holding a type of machine gun in his hands. He looked over at us and the corner of his mouth slowly twitched upward.

"That's defiantly you." John stated with a slight laugh. We gathered the guns we needed and wanted before bringing up to mom, who asked Bob about fixing the truck, which he got to work at doing. John was quick of getting under the truck with Bob while I just sat against the front tire and tuned out of John's telling of mom hanging around "geeks" as he called the men she hanged with.

"I wish I could've met my real dad." John suddenly stated, making me more aware of their conversations.

"You will." stated Bob.

"Yeah, I guess. When I'm, like, forty-five, I think. I sent him back through time to nineteen-eighty-four. Man...He hadn't even been born yet. It messes with your head."

It was quiet for a moment, before John started again.

"Mom and him were only together for one night. She still loves him, I guess. I see her crying some times. She denies it totally, of course, like she got something stuck in her eye."

"Why do you cry?" Bob asked after a moment.

"You mean people?"

"Yeah."

"I don't know, we just cry. You know, when it hurts." John tried to explain. Bob said nothing before the two rolled out from under the truck, making me stand up.

"Pain causes it?" asked Bob.

"Uh...no. It's different. It's when there's nothing wrong with you but you hurt anyways, get it?" John tried his best as Bob walked around the truck to the drivers side.

"No." Bob answered bluntly before turning the key in the ignition, making the truck roar to life.

"Al right, my man!" John grinned.

"No problemo." the terminator replied as he stepped away from the truck.

"Give me five!" John and held his hand and Bob just looked at it. That's when John proceeded to teach the machine how to high five and to the whole up high, down low, to slow and Bob took it in with stride.

"And," I piped up. "If you want to celebrate with more than just high fives..."

"Kayden, don't yo- KAYDEN!" John laughed as I scooped him up and spun him around, my arm was wrapped around his waist while his legs were against my hip and outer thigh as I spun around.

I stopped after a second and set him down before I took a step back. "You try."

I was fully expecting Bob to do to John what I just did, so I actually gave a loud yelp when I felt an arm wrapping around my waist, lifting me up from the ground and i quickly cling to the Bob's shoulders as he spun me. I could hear John's laughter in the background and soon, Bob stopped and set me down on my feet but he didn't remove his arm.

Neither of us moved away and I still kept my hands on Bob's shoulders, staring at the Grey shirt that covered Bob's chest. I didn't know what to do or say. So, I stood there, waiting to see what He would do.

****

******

P.O.V Change

Sarah watched as her youngest son and the terminator interacted. She realized that her fears were empty. It was so clear to her now. The terminator would never stop protecting him, would never leave him. it would never hurt him, shout at him or get drunk and hit him, unlike some of the men that she had been with. It would never say that it would be too busy to spend time with him. It will always be there and would die for him. After all those would-be father's she had dated over the years, none of them measured up like this machine did. She realized that in an insane world, the terminator was really the sanest choice.

She watched as Kayden suddenly scooped John up, making John laugh as Kayden spun the younger around. Her eyes soften behind her glasses slightly, knowing how much she missed in their lives. She watched as Kayden set John down and took a step back, saying something, obviously waiting for something. The terminator scooped Kayden up, making him let out an unmanly yelp and Sarah had to held her smirk at bay at the sound. the machine spun him around for about a minute before setting him down. She had noticed how the terminator was around her eldest which, at first, made her extremely protective- then, she heard their conversation at that old gas station, an exchange much like her's and Kyle's in that water drain.

Now, seeing the terminator spin Kayden around made her actually realize that, like with John, the terminator would protect and be there for Kayden, it wouldn't throw homophobic slurs at him, would never abuse him. If there was one person she had to approve of to be with Kayden, it would be this termnator.

Sarah watched as the terminator brought up his free hand and pressed it against the back of Kayden's neck, the thumb slowly rubbing against his nape, which made Kayden relax. The hand slowly moved to the side of his neck and a thumb nudged his jaw, making Kayden look up into the terminator's face. It dipped it's head down and press it's lips against Kayden's, making the other still.

His first kiss and it was with a machine, she never thought she'd see the day.

She watched as Kayden relax and, rather shyly, kissed the terminator back. They broke apart after a moment and John made his presence known again and slapped Kayden's back, making him go foward into the terminator's chest more.

Uncle Bob will always be the only sanest choice, Sarah decided, to both of her boys.