Chapter 17

"It was an absolute pleasure meeting you, Tesamu, however I cannot overstay my welcome" said the man as he stood up to leave.

"Already? So fast?" Something in the child's tone preoccupied Frankenstein, he didn't quite yet understand this child's motivation, perhaps this was due to the lack of interaction he has had with children.

"I'm afraid I have important matters I must attend to" he sighed, his index massaging his temples.

"I thought we would start right away, I have a slice of pie, I'm not sure you like pie, but it's a good pie- we could share, or no-- you can have it all!" Tesamu's inclined tone grew more indecisive, Frankenstein raised an eyebrow at the child, hearing how his little stomach grumbled.

"Eat, we'll meet again" he said as he made his way to the door, feeling somewhat uneasy.

"Alright, master" said the child, his tone disappointed

Master... The word had an eerie echo to it.  Master something about it plunged Frankenstein into some deeper contemplation as he closed the door behind him. He made his way through the streets, he walked, almost leisurely, lost in thought. Lines of a poem he had read earlier popped into his mind :

"In the fell clutch of circumstance

      I have not winced nor cried aloud."

Oh the irony, tears were an abnormal anatomy need for the scientist, even as he reminisced about the girl, whom was present by his side, 2 or maybe 3 decades ago...

"Beyond this place of wrath and tears

      Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

      Finds and shall find me unafraid."

His immorality had barely quenched his thirst of knowledge, the menace of the years were no more, he did stand against the waves of torment, unshaken. Thus was the life of this peculiar man, who now had just taken in an orphan. His routine had been shattered by the thin voice of a pleading child. Innocence seemed to have made its way back into Frankenstein's soul, but the wrath he covered and kept deep within seem to devour this intruder. Lone, but undefeated. Immortal, yet mortal in his ambitions.

"It matters not how strait the gate,

      How charged with punishments the scroll"

No... such matters did not matter, nor did it keep our man astray from his path, he knew what he must do, an orphan meeting his path, or a lady dying on his journey could not turn him back, for the plagues he faced were numerous, and the people he met were uncountable...

Frankenstein grinned, remembering the very last verses of the poem, something about them echoed and resonated. His grin covered his face as he recited them out loud :

"I am the master of my fate,

      I am the captain of my soul."

--------------------------------------------

Hello everyone! Sorry for the long wait!! The poem used in this chapter is Invictus by William Ernest Henley. The last couplet is written at the entrance of Yuran in the original webtoon, I thought it would be nice to link it back to Frankenstein's story.

Thank you for your time and attention, the story is slowly coming to its end !!