Chapter 25

A/N : thank you so much for 200 views :) it means a lot that people actually like my works hehe :)))

——————

Once again, within the hour your wounds disappeared. The pain lingered longer, but it was ultimately gone after another hour had passed. You rubbed your healed side, and make your way to the bed again. Sitting, you wonder how risky it would be to go downstairs for a meal, or even just to shower. Both seemed impossible to accomplish considering Toby was so annoyingly bloodthirsty. But you were so hungry, and felt so grimy. You sighed, and searched for a weapon in defense. Deciding on a tight grip on the door hang previously keeping your mirror up, you wander out. He isn't there. You feel a weight lift off your chest, maybe your plan worked.

Unfortunately, your sneaking didn't get far, for as you passed his door, he was already opening it himself. You're face to face, and you haven't seen anyone with an expression such as his. It was a mixture of joy, anger, and pain all at once. It truly crushed your heart. Did you do that to him?

"How's the side? Healing, I'm sure." he grumbles, then begins to shut the door again.

Something didn't feel right. Your heart yearned for him, and felt pain as soon as it creeped onto his face. You didn't want him to leave your sight.

"Wait!" you place your hand on the door, pushing yourself through.

Toby was taken aback, but you just stood in front of him with your arms crossed over your chest.

Toby sighs, "What?"

"Why do you look so glum?"

"That's none of your business, now leave,"

"Wow, didn't know you would get so butthurt over a few makeout seshes killing your murderous intentions," you laugh, but he only looks down.

"What do you take me for, anyway?" you glance down to see his hands clenched and back up to see how his hair swept into his face.

"...my...killer? Isn't that all you've been? The guy to make my dreams come true?"

He falls silent. You shift in the awkward situation, what was he even talking about? Was he not just a monster like the rest of them?

"I guess this is a taste of my own medicine, then." Toby shuffles over to his bed, plopping down in the most defeated way you've ever seen him.

"What's wrong with you?"

"Hm," he lets himself fall back, elbows over his face, "wouldn't you like to know."

Throughout the months you've been around him, you never saw him so...what was the word you were looking for?

"Maybe I just got ahead of myself. To think, someone like you would ever come to like me,"

Was annoying the word? Wait. "What?" your eyes widen.

"Exactly," he sighs, "then why do you do what you do? Because you know I can't help but fall victim to you? I thought you wanted to die," another sigh, "although, I guess that train passed a few days ago, then."

Was he talking about the kissing? You blink faster in confusion. What he even talking like this for, he's a monster. Someone who enjoys killing for a pastime. Someone who enjoys nothing less than torture. Someone who lives off the rush of murder.

"See? Now you don't speak. You know what? Just don't bother. I'll push away my feelings, I'm used to it. Emotions other than anger were just never meant for killers." he sits up abruptly, and you can see tears brimming his eyes.

What was so important about you? Especially so much that he had to go and cry about it?

"Why do you care so much? You're a killer, right? So, why do you care about feelings like that? I just thought it was fun." you shrugged your shoulders, but your heart broke.

You didn't like the way he didn't speak. We're you too harsh? Hold up, now, he's a killer, why should you feel remorse? Why did your heart ache the way it did watching his face go from anger to sadness?

Toby scoffed after a minute of silence. He rose, his hand reaching for his hatchet. Uh-oh. You grip the mirror hanger tighter, and he looks down at it, then raises an eyebrow. He shuffles closer to you, and you watch his smile turn from upsetting to sinister. The way his one side twitched and a low rumble of a chuckle rose from his throat. You hated it.

"You know what the only real difference between you and me is?" he stares down at his hatchet, picking at the handle with his nail. "I may kill, but at least I still have the whole humanity thing. I still care for people!"

You didn't understand, but thoughts filled your head. All the small things. He still held onto the idea of love. He wanted to be loved, how could you not see? His words barely made sense, but it made enough sense to make you realize:

Just when it hit you, Toby rose both hatchets. You bit your lip, dropping your weapon in defeat. The hatchets cut across your throat, but you still held onto that one realization, the word you were searching for:

Toby was vulnerable, and you never saw him so human before.