Chapter 30

"Toby, where are we going?" he doesn't respond.

Instead, he silently pulls on the cuff of your shirt, dragging you further into the woods. You can only look at Toby's back while the world around whirred passed you. You had to admit, it was a while since the last time you ran, so you were both out of breath yet felt so alive. The wind brushed passed your body, sending a comforting chill down your spine.

A few more minutes of running and you reach a clearing in the woods. Toby stops, and you watch his cheeks squish between his goggles and mouthguard. What was he smiling at?

You look ahead and see a house structure, burned through to the settlement and grass on the ground. With the morning sun, the house almost sparkles from soot. He chuckled, and dragged you on, but you pulled him back.

"What if someone sees me?" Toby lets you go, and stared at you up and down.

"Here, wear this." Toby pulls off his sweatshirt, and shrugs it over your head and shoulders.

Once the hood is pulled up, he grabbed your wrist and walked onto the property. He seemed childish, giggling every now and then at the structure. It worried you, but you carried on without another word. Toby proceeds to bring you into the house. You almost protested, but part of you knew he knew what he was doing.

The area you stood in didn't look stable whatsoever, but the neighboring houses didn't seem to mind the rotting house.

You watch Toby run his fingers along the walls not covered in burn marks, and hear him sigh happily. Once you reached the middle of what used to be a living room, he turned around abruptly.

"Do you like it?" You could feel his smile through his words, but why was he so excited?

"I'm confused, why are we here? What is this place?"

"Isn't it obvious?" He does a small twirl, hands in the air, "It's my best work. My beautiful masterpiece that YOU reminded me I still had. Home!"

Your eyes wander around, was this really his home? This burnt, dangerous structure was where Toby grew up? You watch his hand find their way on his hips, as he waits for an answer.

"How did I remind you? How can you forget home?"

"He hasn't told me yet, but I don't really care. All I know is I asked him to help me forget, but somehow, you bring those memories back," Toby approaches you, "so thanks for reminding me!"

You didn't know what that meant. Was he angry at you? Was this sarcasm? He approaches you slowly, fingering the hatchet on his right. You instinctively move back, feeling overwhelmed with fear.

"Oh. Are you, by any chance, scared?" Toby reaches up, caressing your cheek like before, then grabs your throat. "I would be too, in your situation. Bringing back those memories. The ones that brought me so much pain." His grip strengthened. Definitely anger.

"You don't get to bring back those memories. I shouldn't feel pain. It's not normal, why did you bring them back?" You tried to bang a fist against his arm, but his grip merely grew stronger.

He just said he didn't care, now he does care. How are you supposed to know why you bring back some man's memories? This was all too much, the jumping to and from threat and comfort. You just wanted to go home.