Chapter 11 - Comfortable

“Jongin and I did it.”

“You what?!”

“Yep. In the backseat.”

“No, they just kissed.” Jonghyun interrupted Taemin and Kibum’s conversation with a plate full of food and a heated face, eyes rolling. “You’re just mad cause I proved you wrong.” Jonghyun flinched.

Lunch time in the cafeteria usually presented an atmosphere of starving, depressed kids cramming in last minute studying, yet this time everything was completely transformed. It was quite apparent just how happy Taemin felt, he radiated merriment and giggled to himself while playing with his food. He hadn’t seen Jongin since the night before, and he had absolutely no idea how he should act, or what he should say.  It was now Friday, and Taemin thought it cruel to force the debate students to go to school after their tournament; yet he wasn’t complaining. Frankly, he didn’t want to see Jongin at all, yet even if he just thought this, the other half of his subconscious could swear on its grave it wanted nothing more than to see Jongin again.

Jonghyun and Kibum chatted lightly, while Taemin came close to blacking out from overthinking how sixth period was going to go. If I just chill out everything will be okay. Relax. He inhaled through his nose and out his mouth, yet stampedes of butterflies spilled out instead of carbon dioxide. Out of embarrassment and slap-happiness, he buried his face inside overly warm hands, hating yet secretly loving this feeling. He his lips one last time, remembering and savoring the feel of Jongin’s lips. This didn’t help the butterflies.

~~

The end of fifth period bell rang a little louder than usual. Taemin took his sweet, leisurely time, and ended up being the last to leave the classroom. The longer he was away from Jongin, the longer time he had to collect his thoughts. Unintentionally fast, Taemin found himself outside of the door to Debate/Speech. He didn’t move, or place his hands anywhere near the door-knob. He stood frozen with either fear or anticipation. Just as the bell rang, he pushed himself to open the door. Almost on instinct, his eyes darted to Jongin’s general direction. Sure enough, Jongin’s perfect figure sat in his usual desk, yet his eyes were closed and his legs were spread forwards slightly further than usual. He appeared asleep; his hazel bangs dangled just to his eyes, lips pouted.  He’s gorgeous.

Taemin was a bit relieved he didn’t have to deal with greeting himself to Jongin, yet annoyed he worked himself up for nothing. He quietly walked by the aisle of desks, careful not to wake him. As he passed Jongin, Jongin’s eyes fluttered open, and outstretched one of his hands from his crossed arms. Taemin felt a tug on the bottom corner of his jacket, and turned to see Jongin hanging on with his fingers.  He smiled widely, his voiced rasped in a low and y way, as if he hadn’t talked in a while. “Hey.”

Taemin’s heart froze, mirroring his now closed throat. “H-hi.” Jongin released Taemin from his grasp, for class had just started. Taemin approached Jongyun with an “I can’t believe this is happening” kind of face, while Jonghyun mouthed, “Get some.”

The class was surprisingly short, they were now studying a specific topic to master and later discuss. Political, economic, environmental, and geographical issues were spit across the room between the opinionated students, which led to a quick democracy, resulting in the environment as their next topic. Jonghyun whispered into Taemin’s ear. “The only environment you’ll be studying is Jongin’s.” He raised his eyebrows multiple times, and Taemin slapped him across the arm, and questioned why he even put up with Jonghyun anymore.

The bell finally rang, which surprised Taemin at just how well he contained himself. This thought, however, tragically crumbled downhill as soon as he saw Jongin walking towards him.  He turned to Jonghyun discreetly. “Oh my god, Jonghyun he’s coming over.” “Just be cool, you got this.” “No I don’t…” Jongin was now close enough to wave at Jonghyun lightly, and then shove his hand into the depths of his pocket. Taemin froze and tried to smile, disguising the maniac butterflies practically going at war with each other. “Taemin… Can I talk to you for a second?” Taemin answered as if he hadn’t seen Jongin coming, and that he was completely nerve-free. “Sure!”