Chapter 20 - Tranquil Commotion

It is without question, a miracle that Taemin is able to practice what he preaches. The usual morning mist, the usual painted dew, and the usual (yet obnoxiously so) dash of humidity all remind Taemin of the continuation of time. He remembers once when he told Jongin that “although there is sadness, the birds will still chirp in the mornings and the sun will still rise.”

Taemin wished he hadn’t been so wise, for playing the victim is frustrating enough, despite having the knowledge that a part of him was kicking him in the to get a grip. He deleted his search history of “how to be optimistic” and “why does college even exist” before rushing outside to catch the morning bus for school.

Nearing his usual waiting stop, he found a very familiar and white car parked just across the street. Seriously? Taemin refused to believe it for a few moments, so he just stared at the car until a very handsome boy stepped out from the driver’s seat.

“Heyy Taeminie! I’m driving you to school from now on. What are you staring at? Move your .”

Taemin blinked. After a moment’s processing, he hesitantly walked over to the beautiful image of a caring angel, his actions motivated by the happiness of Taemin.

Taemin opened the door to sit inside, but Jongin grabbed his bag and threw it in the trunk before Taemin could move another inch. “You don’t need that weight on you.” Jongin smiled, and so did his eyes.

When Taemin was fully buckled inside one of his favorite places to be, Jongin handed him a warm mug.

“I made some tea for you, sweetheart.”

“Sweetheart?” Taemin took a sip of the surprisingly calming oolong.

“Yeah, sweetheart. That’s you.” He pointed to Taemin’s heart, and then brushed his cheek with his thumb before pulling back.  

Taemin’s smile was so large and so pure, that it upgraded to a little laugh. “Wow okay, Jongin. I mean, darling.”

The morning sun shined through the branches of the trees, racing the car and providing the light to guide the world to another day. Another day. As it has done yesterday, and as it will do tomorrow. Taemin felt okay. He began squeezing in little bits of his time with Jongin into memory, creating a scrapbook of nostalgia.

“Hey, Jongin…”

Little birds flew passed their windows, laughing out songs and chasing each other. “Mmm, yes?”

“Are you doing this because you feel bad, or do you really want to spend all this time with me?”

Jongin took his eyes off the road for a moment to give Taemin a look of puzzlement and enigma. He reached for Taemin’s hand, and slowly placed his palm to his own chest.

Taemin’s world crashed in around him, as he felt the racing and pounding booms throbbing from Jongin’s heart. Every contradiction and every self-doubt was burnt with the physical proof of their mutual enamoredness. It was crazy. Absolutely insane. And it opened Taemin’s eyes.

“It’s called love, Taemin.”

Taemin didn’t know what to say. He figured this was one of those times when “silence says the most.” He took another sip of tea, tried to ignore his inner butterflies and light headedness and muttered rhetoric into the mug. “Well me sideways.”

“Can I?”

Taemin smacked Jongin’s arm, though they both laughed.

~~

Starting the day off with this eye candy definitely put Taemin in a wonderful mood. It lasted through the first half of the day, and was regenerated with another surprise attack from Jongin.