Chapter 23 - Love's Way

Though it was undeniably difficult, it was indeed possible to pretend Taemin enjoyed watching the seniors walk individually to the center of the stage and gain their diploma.

Taemin surprisingly did not sit with Jonghyun or Kibum, but with a boy named Minho whom had been in all of Taemin’s speech classes. He usually agreed with Taemin, though he didn’t speak up much. They started talking for both of them had a friend leaving that year, though Taemin swore Minho would’ve sat next to him anyway.

“So… which one’s your friend?” Taemin scanned the crowd of seniors.

“Oh um… Lee Jinki. He’s the short one in the front.”

Taemin laughed and Minho asked which one of the seniors was Taemin’s friend. He looked thoughtful after Taemin answered. “Isn’t that the guy with black hair who sits in the back?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh yeah, you guys seem pretty close.”

Taemin didn’t respond.

The announcer bellowed across the stadium. “Next is Kim Jongin! Please claim your diploma.”

Jongin exited the crowd, his beauty making him stand out significantly from the rest of the group, and was handed his diploma. There was something significantly right about the agreement between Jongin and a stage. Taemin couldn’t exactly put it into words, but it was as though Jongin was born to be under a spotlight. Jongin bowed and smiled, bragging his snow-white teeth while the audience applauded. He left the stage as quickly as he came. Taemin sighed, and continued to applaud for people he didn’t even know for the next hour or so.

~~

Taemin blinked, and the last day of school was already over. He tried to run to Jongin for comfort, but June had flown by. He began to panic, and it was July.

And there wasn’t a minute gone by where Taemin and Jongin weren’t together. Jonghyun actually called Taemin to complain and scream about feeling ignored and replaced, but Taemin hung up. Jonghyun would understand eventually and Taemin would have a whole other year with him to explain.

If Taemin was unable to stay over at Jongin’s house, or vice versa, then they would call each other and talk about nothing until one of them would fall asleep. Jongin once fell asleep apparently still holding the phone, for his low, rhythmic breaths were distinct and beautiful. Taemin recorded it and saved it as a future lullaby.

~~

Sometimes, it is better to be numb. It can sometimes be a protector (though it may act just as dignified as sociopathic to happiness) and this is definitely one of those times in which Taemin needs a shield. Jongin’s last night in Seoul arrived. No warnings, no flashing neon signs that read ‘caution ahead’ and definitely no breaks to catch his breath. However, Jongin’s wisdom still remained in his mind daily, and admittedly challenged Taemin to be grateful for the gift of Jongin and the time they had. Though Taemin and time weren’t really on speaking terms.

Jongin had told Taemin ahead of time that his parents wanted to have a grand and final dinner with the entire family, including a friend. Naturally, Taemin was invited. He would’ve been over anyway.

He now stood on not the doorstep to Jongin’s house, but to the Kim family. He was probably way more nervous than he should have been, but some things never change. He knocked, but there was no answer. He knocked again, but there was still no answer. He raised his knuckles to knock once more, but the door was yanked open.

In the doorway stood a young woman with unnaturally white skin and contrasting black hair. Though Taemin had never seen her before, he recognized her instantly. Definitely Jongin’s mother; she resembled the exact female version of him: gorgeous. But maybe what was most intimidating of all was that she was Jongin’s mother. The woman who had brought Jongin into the world. And Taemin couldn’t help but feel utmost respect.