Chapter 11 - At the park

Weeks passed by and we were texting every night.

Then one night, he asked me if I could meet him at the park and I said yes.

I got ready and brought an umbrella just in case it would rain.

Then I saw him there; waiting for me under a post.

“Hey.” He greeted.

“Hey, what’s up?” I asked.

“Oh nothing. I just wanted to get out of the house.” He smiled.

“That’s a very good reason.” I said.

“I love your sarcasm.” Then we started walking and strolling at the park.

It started to rain a little so I opened my umbrella. Unfortunately he didn’t bring one so we had to share.

I wanted to bring up the time that he was crying in he middle of the rain, and wanted to tell him that I regret not sacrificing my umbrella to him the next day but then I realized that I wasn’t at the right position in his life to ask him what happened and why did he cried.

The stroll at the park was refreshing. It refreshed my mind. We talked, laughed, goofed around each other. He was like my best friend even though we just became friends for a month.

We got out of the park and came across a waiting shed. We sat there- only the two of us lurking in the middle of the night and it’s raining.

I felt sleepy so I lay my head on his shoulder, closed my eyes and waited for the rain to calm down.

A few minutes later West started to talk but I just listened but didn’t reply. So it seemed to him that I was fast asleep.

“Brei?” No reply.

“I guess you also shut down your ears when you fall asleep huh?” He said and gave out a sigh.

“You know..” His voiced trailed off then he gave another sigh.

Then he inhaled smoothly and exhaled. I thought was nervous about something.

“Look, I don’t know if you feel the same as I do but,” His shoulders were shaking. “We could be together if you wanted to.”

I didn’t know if I just dreamed of that up or it was real.

“You see, Brianna..”

“I’m falling for you and you don’t know that because I don’ want us to end this friendship.”

“Every time you send me a text, I get so nervous that I just had to ask my boys on what I should text you back.”

“I hate texting you sometimes cause you drive me insane.”

“I always sleep at night late because I just can’t get you out off my mind.”

“Fuck you.”

“Cause now, I fucking like being with you cause you’re fucking beautiful in my eyes and you’re fucking hilarious and I feel butterflies inside my stomach which makes me feel like I’m gay for you.”

I know.

From the very beginning I know that this shouldn’t be happening.

But since he was feeling the same way all along, I didn’t know what to do.

“You know? I actually texted you because I lost my teddy and I wanted to ask you if I could sleep with you but I didn’t have the guts to because I didn’t know what will be your reaction.”

“I’ve never been this crazy for a girl.”

He took a long sigh.

“I wish you’d know that every smile you make is a deeper fall I get.” He whispered.

The rain finally calmed down.

Now I was sure. That everything I heard was true.

“West?” I whispered.

He was surprised to hear me. “You heard?” He wanted to be sure.

“Everything.” I answered.

“Brei?”

“Yeah?”

“What’s your conclusion?”

“The feeling is mutual and it had always been.”

Then he exhaled; finally.

I stared at nothing from a distance still resting my head on West’s shoulder. “I thought I was just waiting for something that isn’t going to happen.”

“Can I call you mine?” He asked.

I wasn’t sure what I’d like you say. He didn’t say that he loves me yet but I didn’t want to break his heart. “It would be a pleasure Mr. Tyson.” I said imitating a medieval lady’s accent.

“I’m yours now.”

“Are you mine tomorrow? Or just mine tonight?” I just had to ask him.

“I’ll be yours forever.” Those words. That word. Forever.

“I just- you know. Don’t want to be a stranger again to you.”

“Brei, don’t think about that fucking cycle of strangers-to- best friends-to-friends-to-lovers-to-strangers-thing.”

I wanted to say that I love him but I wasn’t prepared yet.