Chapter 10 - Better off hidden

As we let the eerie silence of the midnight creep to our ears, he was falling asleep while I was falling in love.

But no.

Why am I falling for him?

Maybe it’s because I know- I am the only person that knows who he really is inside; a boy with a bad reputation and a sad family life.

But I know that this shouldn’t be happening. I admit; I’ve been eyeing on him since we we’re freshmen and thought that he was cute. Which kinda is one of the reasons why I’m falling for him with every smile.

“Thanks for the ride.” I smiled.

He drove me home- us alone inside his car, talking and laughing about a lot of things. He was driving while I was falling for him more.

“The pleasure is mine Ms. Mitty.” He gestured a medieval gentleman pose from inside his car.

“Good night and take care.”

“Good night and sweet dreams.” Then he drove away from my house.

I know inside me that this shouldn’t be happening. It was like I was in heaven but I felt like I should not be there.

It felt like I shouldn’t be deserving this much of an attention from him.

I finally got to bed after changing and removing my make-up. Tuck myself in and prepared myself to dream the craziest dreams of all; West Evander Tyson.

I woke up the next morning feeling refreshed. Knowing that I did dream about West the whole evening which means I already fell for him- hard.

“Bye mom!” I rushed to school after I finished breakfast.

Time check 7:24am and I just arrived at school.

“Hey Brei,” Vicky came across, “Where were you during the party?” She asked.

“Oh I was uhh-”

“Feeding some birds.” West.

“You two were together last night?” Vicky asked another one.

No one should know what happened last night, “No-”

“Yeah.” West’s voice was louder than mine that it made it look like I didn’t even said a word.

“That’s cool.” Vicky smiled. “See you ‘round!” And walked away.

“Why were you denying that you were with me?” West asked. I know that he was offended.

“West, it’s just- you know, Reese? My best friend?” That was all I got.

“The girl who I wrongly sent a photo of me hugging my teddy bear and fell for me afterwards? Yeah. I know her.”

I was shocked. Reese told me a different story. Although things were the same but it was totally different; that they’ve been texting for a long time and out of the blue, West sent her a picture of him hugging his teddy bear so Reese assumed that West needed someone to hug.

“Wow.” I replied.

“You heard a different story?” He made sure.

“Y-yeah.” I forced a smile. I couldn’t believe Reese’s desperateness that she went that far.

I knew Reese all my life. She was a noble liar. Even to me. But what happened to her and West? She wasn’t lying.

“She was assuming.” I found the right word. “She fell for you and so she assumed a lot of stuff.”

“Hey can I get your number?” He changed the topic.

“Were you even listening!?” I wondered.

We exchanged numbers.

And texted every night.

Every night I swear I fell for him even more.