Diary of a Young Girl

"Höchste Entschuldigung*," Germany muttered, setting down the plate of sliced Leberkäse** (left over from Christmas and New Years with America and others), to which Alaska admired, thanking him before placing a piece onto a small slice of bread.

         "I am surprised jou did not see me firsht," the exasperated Country sat down in the chair opposite of the woman, his father's ring now in his shirt pocket, it's circular impression ruining the flat line of the white linen, "I vould 'ave taken care of zhe problem ts-ooner."

         "Third Reich's actions were not a concern, Germany," Alaska smiled sweetly, "I know how much you work, and I didn't want it to be a hindrance when he knew I could tell you any minute. It was best that I let him think he had won that battle. Besides, he couldn't do anything even if he tried."

     This State was fearless. Not only did she wait to tell Germany of his father's actions, but she waited until the start of January, meeting with several other countries before him; among these being Poland, Egypt, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, South and North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Australia (those two were practically made to meet) and many others within such a short time, that being a few days after December 7th, Delaware's birthday.

         "Perhaps, but vhat can I do to make up 'fer this inconvenience?" 

         "Teaching me how to make this Leberkäse would be a good idea," she chuckled, and took another piece.

         "Surely zhat is not all?"

Everyone seemed so surprised at her simple requests, but they matched her simple way of living. Alaska had explained to the Countries she had met with so far of her currency, but that it was only used in world trade, not so much in daily life. Her people instead used farm goods, or other materials. A carton of eggs? That's worth at least on quart of milk. No one used money as much anymore, it had become useless to the Alaskan people after prices kept growing, meaning the American dollar kept decreasing. Whatever you found in the stores were things not needed in daily life. Alaska had met with all her people, their representatives anyway, and made a decision that built her world. Simplicity, pure simplicity. Those who didn't agree either left or paid the extra for luxuries most didn't want anyway. This percentile being a measly 10% of her total population.

         "Apology wise, yes, that is all. I don't need any sum of money, your word is enough, but if we were getting down to proper business I have a few things I would like to discuss."

Germany nodded, and stood.

         "I vould love to discuss business, but not here. Ve could discuss zhis in your own land, perhaps? I vould be honored to see your life style."

Alaska smiled, and stepped up from her seat. Not having a ring yet, Germany was going to use his, before the giggling woman stopped him.

         "You're going to need a good coat. We've been having some bad snow storms."

The Country sighed, quickly finding a coat near his front door. Of course, Alaska knew it wasn't heavy enough for the current blizzard they were experiencing right now, so told him to think of her flag, knowing that would send them to her house. Germany threw the ring, and the two stepped out into the fridged air, a heavy gust of snow filled wind throwing the red, yellow and black striped man off her porch before he could pick up the circular mimic of his flag. Alaska giggled as she picked up his ring, then him.

         "I have a few extra coats and some heavy boots you can wear."

Germany brushed himself off before following her into the cozy cabin. It smelled of pine, and fresh baked cookies, an odd but delightful combination. The aroma seemed to whisk his shivers away, even more so when Alaska brought him a cup of hot apple cider.

         "Oh-uh... Danke dir***."

         "You're welcome," she smiled, and went to open a large wardrobe, decorated to look similar to that of C.S. Lewis' famous eye opener for the imagination. She then looked back to Germany with a calculating eye, not minding that he was casually looking around. Her place was an oddity anyway. Baleen'  hung from the ceiling, along with several animal pelts, a bear rug looked like it was trying to eat the fire as it stared blankly, and the folded blanket draped on her worn out sofa was loosely knitted. Skis hung on the wall as well, framing four pictures: one of her and Russian Empire, before he became USSR, the second to the left being of her and America (long before she had grown), the picture on the right was empty, and the bottom held Alaska and many Alaskan people, everyone so proud of their now grown little girl. The first two were black and white, the last one being of color.

         "Jou zeem 'appy," Germany noted, "in all of zhese."

She craned her neck to look around the door of the wardrobe, Germany having walked the short distance to the wall.

         "Sweet memories," she smiled, though it was melancholic.

         "I see jou have saved zis vun," he pointed at the empty frame, and Alaska averted her eyes back into the wardrobe.

         "Not by choice," she admitted, and yelled a short 'ah-ha!' as she found the parka she wanted, lifting up the large item that looked rather heavy, "This will keep any chill out!"

     Germany set his half empty cup down, and let the woman help him into the mammoth of a coat. He could barely turn his head with the amount of fur covering his neck, making it look like he had a hood on, but there was no such addition on this parka. It brushed the wood floor, the length of the coat covering his shiny black Oxfords.

         "Uh... I am some-vhat conditioned to colder veather..." he noted, sneezing as the long strands of fur tickled his face.

         "Sorry," she chuckled, and helped him out of the behemoth that practically swallowed him, and replaced it with a lighter one, the fur not as fluffy and thick, as well as coming down to his ankles rather than the floor, "I'd just rather you enjoy my land then freeze during the tour."

The substitute was already making the Country over heat as they left the cabin (after finding a proper set of boots), and Alaska locked the door.

         "Oh, if you see my flag anywhere, tell me," she sighed, "There was a nasty storm awhile back, and I think the wind took off with it. It'll probably be in a tree."

Germany nodded, and the tour commenced, all the while he couldn't help but think:

Why on Earth would America want to chain such a treasure to statehood?

--------------------

*Höchste Entschuldigung - Highest apologies (German)

**Leberkäse - A german meat snack or sometimes a main dish depending on the pairing.

***Danke dir - thank you (German)

The above picture was made by me via a computer painting program.