Old Grudges, New Friends

Alaska hesitated. She was not keen about seeing the son of her father... what if her brother was just as cruel? She had watched on the sidelines, and saw many simliarities. She remembered drunken nights of pure terror, and her people suffering at his hands... 

         "Kaŋiqsiŋitchuŋa*," she shook her head, wondering how such a brute could beget another child, and turned to leave Russia's doorstep, only to be stopped dead by the Country himself. He wasn't even home.

         "A-yaska?" he stared at her, confused. The State was taller than him, even if she stepped down from the porch stair she'd be taller, if it weren't for her natural inviting atmosphere, she'd loom over him, like their father.

         "Vhat are you doing 'ere?" His low voice held an amount of alarm as he looked around, and pushed her inside the worm hole he created, entering his living room, "You could be trialed for Russian co-yusion!" he scolded, accent thick, something Alaska didn't want to admit she missed after being handed off to America. She recognized the extended vowels, the deep tone, not sure if she hated it, or wanted to hear more.

         "I... wanted to discuss business..." she stated meekly, flinching when Russia brought a hand up to drag down his face, he noticed her tenseness, and lowered his hand.

         "You are not yet'a country," his 'R' rolled, "As a State you can be trialed for treason. America vill use vhat he can to keep you."

         "Like you can talk," she huffed, "How long have you wanted my land? You've made numerous offers to buy it from him."

         "Ah-nd it still stands!" He stated harshly, and Alaska flinched once again. Russia sighed before flopping down on his sofa, "Apologies... Vhat is it you vant to speak of?"

The blue and gold State was silent, trying to rein in her own emotions as she kept her tears at bay. She was not the powerless little Territory anymore... with each passing day she was closer to becoming a Country... so close to freedom... so close to never being ignored and abused again! She can't show weakness now.

     Alaska cleared her throat before continuing.

         "Trade, as well as offers of military power as an ally, on a few conditions."

Russia stared at her wide-eyed. Trade, sure he understood that, but military power?

         "Vhat are d-ese... conditions?" he questioned, skeptical.

         "Simple really, instead of you or others relaying the problem to me, I inspect the dilemma myself, determining if it is truly worth risking the lives of my people."

         "Dhat is it?"

         "Honestly why is it so hard to believe?" she huffed, her hands on her hips as she switched her weight from one foot to the other, "Ve're family, and as much as I dis-yike vhat папа** did he is family as vell!"

         "Aw, I am touched, снежинка***."

Russia bolted from his seat, twisting harshly as he glared at USSR, doing a horrible job at keeping Alaska from his sight, considering her height.

         "You've grown," he chuckled, taking the last step down, crossing the floor to be in front of his two children. Alaska was as tall as him, the biggest super power in his time (matching Nazi Germany), and she was equal to him, a terrifying prospect. USSR's toothy grin split his face as he pushed Russia to the side with ease, and raised a hand to stroke the woman's cheek in front of him, a fatherly gesture, only to be stopped by a pistol aimed at his head.

         "I am here to speak with Russia," she stated coldly, said Country having no clue what to do, so he just stared, "not the Russia who turned into what you are now. So I suggest you take your Communist Manifesto elsewhere, or God help me I will shove it so far up your butt it'll come out your nose."

There would have been laughter from the younger Country, but Alaska's tone held nothing but seriousness as she threatened her past. There was no room for jesting as USSR backed up the stairs, glaring at the State.

         "Dhis vill not be dhe yast time you see me," he threatened back, but it was as empty as the bottles of hard liquor that Alaska once had to pick up.

         "I count on it, fadher."

     Several long minutes of silence passed by. Alaska finally placed her pistol back in her parka pocket once she knew USSR had slunk back to his room, or perhaps out a window. She didn't know. She sighed, looking back to Russia, her little brother, who was still staring, mouth agape as he pointed at the Eskimo. Rolling her eyes, Alaska pushed him back down on the couch.

         "You... you are... dhat vas.. he-"

         "Russia, please," she sighed, rubbing her temples in a vain attempt to remove the headache slowly forming, "I-I'll come another time... or maybe we can plan a meeting once I become a Country."

         "If  you become a Country," he corrected, "nodhing is finalized until dhe dhird meeting widh U.N. and all odher Countries. Do you know vhen dhat is?"

She shook her head.

         "I've checked with him many times, but each time I ask about my wanting to become a Country... he apologizes for forgetting about such a delicate matter. Or he says he thought it was already approved after looking through my history of trades and other such things."

         "But you don't trade vith anybody." he told her, "You don't have dhat privilege as a State."

Alaska nodded.

         "I know. He's looking at recent history... I document everything. So I explained that it was all about confirming trade partners if I become a Country. I don't want to be going through all of that then, when I'm already waiting now."

         "Better dhan sitting around doing nodhing," they both chuckled, then Russia frowned, looking to the floor, "Don't dhink I did not notice," he started, "vhy did you fyinch at my action, yet pull out a gun on fadher?" 

To this Alaska was silent for a time, wondering how she should answer this. It was a delicate question, she knew, but better to tell the truth than let a lie bite you in the future.

         "You have power," she told him, "He does not. USSR is a failed Country, only still in existence because his ideals rest in your people, whether it is seen or not. It is the same with Germany and Third Reich. As long as there are people who hold their ideals in high esteem, they will live on. But their mistakes made them powerless, why do you think he backed off instead of try and fight me? But you have not failed, I am still a State, you have far more power than me, and I did not know if you would be like father. One wrong move here," she looked around at his elaborate home, "and my dreams of becoming a Country will go up in flames."

     Russia couldn't help it. Lunging at the tall State, he hugged her with all his might, crying as he apologized in his native tongue, over and over, glad that she understood when she started to cry too, enveloping him in a hug of her own. She was scared of him. No, terrified, because of what USSR had done when he was still known as simply Russian Empire. He didn't want to be cruel like his father, the blood spilled on his hands that always seemed to leak onto his son's. Russia didn't want to continue the abuse anymore... he was wrong in wanting to buy her land from America, and for such a measly price. Now, he knew she was worth so much more, and no one had enough money in the world to pay it.

--------------------

*Kaŋiqsiŋitchuŋa - I don't understand (Iñupiaq, an Alaskan Native Language)

** папа - Dad (Russian)

*** снежинка - Snowflake (Russian)

The above picture is of Alaska and her father Russian Empire (Pre-Soviet). The flag on Alaska's features is what flew until she was purchased by America in 1867. It is drawn by hand with graphite pencil by yours truly. It is one of three pictures on Alaska's wall.

(Also please comment and tell me how I'm doing so far. I love hearing from my readers!)