seven

*EDITED*

*EDITED*

Robert told Elizabeth that the new Chauffer was starting that day and while she was wandering around she caught a quick glance at his back as he was taken into the library. She decided to go for a walk around the estate, catching a short part of the conversation happening in the library when she began past. She had intended to walk straight past but had strayed towards the door, pausing to hear what was being said. Her walk had been postponed by her curiosity. 

"We have a wide range of books," Robert explained. "But my youngest tends to read only French books, heavens knows why when she's not very good with languages."

"Hey!" She exclaimed loudly from outside the library. 

"Elizabeth?" Robert called.

Elizabeth smiled sheepishly as she walked in, "I was just walking past when you said that. I am shocked you think I'm so untalented."

"I didn't say untalented," he fought. 

"It was implied," she argued before turning her attention to the new chauffeur who was already looking at her. "I'm Elizabeth Crawley, it's nice to meet you..."

"Tom Branson," he introduced. He smiled gently at her. He couldn't help but pause over her delicate features, etched with a sort of innocence. Her eyes were bright and hopeful, and her smile seemed permanent, even when she held a straight face. A ghost of a smile was always there. 

"He's the new chauffeur," Robert added. 

"Oh, how wonderful. What's driving like? I'm not allowed to learn," she asked, her eyes lighting up once more. Her smile widened. 

"That's enough Lizzie," Robert scolded. 

"Alright, I'll leave you to it. I'm going for a walk in the gardens," she told, sensing she was unwelcome in the conversation from her father's pointed look. She sent him a smile, one which he returned. He could never truly get angry with her. Her doe eyes had a way of making you forgive her quickly. Robert always thought it was because she was the youngest. Her being the 'baby' of the sisters made him want to shelter her more than the others. 

It didn't matter that he would often catch her wandering around with a mischievous glint in her eyes when she was younger or that of all the sisters she was the most stubborn and argumentative or the one most likely to get in trouble. She was his baby and she always would be. Even if she proved otherwise on multiple occasions.

He knew she was extremely intelligent and kind and that there was a lot she could offer to the world, but a small, sick part of him wanted her to stay at Downton forever.