fourteen

Sybil and Elizabeth, although surrounded by death and injury, were happy with what they were doing

Sybil and Elizabeth, although surrounded by death and injury, were happy with what they were doing. They finally felt useful. Rushing around and helping the wounded men made the twins feel like they finally had a purpose. Of course, Lizzie was tired, but she was moving away from her old life.

That being said, she could not stop thinking about Tom's words to her. How he was in love with her. And she didn't know how she felt about him. She liked him. And she thought he was handsome. But could she upend her life for him, for a man?

Despite this spiral of thoughts, she had finished the course and was officially working as a nurse. 

It just so happened that they had very little time to themselves. To Elizabeth that was good. Less time for her to spiral into her own thoughts about Tom. It didn't help, however, that he was the family's messenger. 

Branson had arrived to remind them of their commitment to dinner with her family and some guests. Just as Elizabeth's mind strayed back to the months ago confession. He had, to her at least, moved on from what he said. 

"We can't possibly come. Really, Mama is incorrigible," Elizabeth exclaimed in response to his reminder. Sybil was busy elsewhere.

"It's not poor Branson's fault," Isobel defended.

Elizabeth's gaze fell to Isobel as she worked, "But what is the point of Mama's soirées? What are they for?"

"Well, I'm going up for dinner tonight and I'm glad. Is that wrong?" Isobel informed. "Thomas, you can cover for Nurse Crawley, can't you?"

"I can," he reported.

"Now I will find someone to cover for Sybil," Isobel spoke.

Elizabeth huffed in response, not happy that she had to go to the dinner. She finished what she was doing.

"Can you give Lieutenant Courtenay his pills?" Elizabeth requested, handing Thomas the small bottle.

"Of course I can, I'd be glad to," Thomas replied.

---

Sybil and Elizabeth had both made it to the dinner in time and the pair were talking to their Aunt Rosamund.

"What do you think Mary sees in him?" Elizabeth sought, glancing at Sir Richard Carlisle, Mary's guest.

"Besides the money, you mean?" Aunt Rosamund commented.

"It must be more than that," Sybil argued.

"For you two. Not necessarily for her," Aunt Rosamund stated.

Everyone had split off into their own conversations as dinner was served. Elizabeth was brought out of her conversation as Carson dropped the sauce over Edith's dress.