twelve

*EDITED*

*EDITED*

Being 'out to society' was a strange concept when Elizabeth really thought about it, she was flaunting that she was of marrying age and was telling men to line up to see if she liked them enough, or if they had enough money to tempt her family into agreeing with their marriage proposal. 

She did find that the dancing and the food were good fun, however. She enjoyed meeting new people and getting to know other women in the same situation as her. 

Despite the fun, she was happy to be home. They had just arrived home from London after that season and Elizabeth almost ran into the house. She took it all in, but soon noticed how sad William looked. She remembered that he had recently lost his mother and sent him a sympathetic smile, one he could hardly return. He grimaced more than smiled but she didn't mind. He had just lost his mother. It was a hard thing to go through for a lot of people. 

"Hello, William. It's good to have you back," Cora greeted, which was a way of sharing their sympathy's with him without outwardly acknowledging there had been a death. 

Elizabeth found so many customs so odd. 

"What a relief to be home," Robert announced. 

"Don't listen when His Lordship pretends not to enjoy the season," Cora voiced. 

"When in Rome."

Mrs Hughes joined them in the foyet, addressing Robert, "Will Lady Mary be back soon?" 

"She's staying on with my sister for a couple of weeks," Robert informed. 

"So Grantham House is closed?" Mrs Hughes asked. 

Elizabeth stopped listening to their conversation as she took off her coat. She already knew most of what was going on and their bringing up William did nothing more than confirm that he was 'holding up', which wasn't saying much as he didn't have much of a choice. 

Elizabeth began up the stairs, ready to rest after their journey. Edith and Sybil seemed to have the same idea as they followed after her. 

"Sybil? Elizabeth? You were both a great success in London, my darlings. Well done," Cora praised. 

Elizabeth nodded, smiling at her mother. 

Edith stopped on the stairs, "You never say that to me."

"Don't I? You were very helpful, dear. Thank you," Cora replied, grasping her hand and squeezing it.

Elizabeth turned to her, "I thought you were wonderful, Edith."

"You're just saying that to be kind, Lizzie," Edith complained. 

"I am saying because it's true, Edith, it just helps that it was also kind." 

Edith rolled her eyes at her sister but she appreciated the words nonetheless. Elizabeth smiled once more before following Sybil to their rooms.