the Labor Games

The entire wedding party except for Louis stood in a white tent at the end of bamboo mat aisle, behind all of the guests chairs. A string quartet stood at the front and off to the side of a shaded platform where Louis stood. The quartet played soft background music, awaiting the signal to start up the 'bridal march'. Friends and family filled the fold out chairs that faced the ocean. Lee and Carley sat on the brides side, Milli and Kaylee on their laps, wearing cotton dresses. Milli's was blue with white anchors and Kaylee's was white with blue anchors. They each had their hair up in a rubber band on the top of their head. Curls shooting out like confetti.

Luke was the ring bearer. He stood in the tent with Marissa, who had been instructed on when to release him to walk down the aisle. He wore a button up white shirt, blue bow tie and vest with grey pants. His long shaggy blonde hair was neatly brushed out of his face.

Everyone in the tent lined up. Clementine and Tenn in the front, Violet and Minerva in the back. Clementine tried to focus on Luke instead of the way Minerva curled her hands around Violet's elbow.

"You look so handsome Lukey, grandma did a good job getting you ready." Clementine knelt down to his level and straightened his bow tie, "Don't forget, you follow Mommy out, okay?" Clementine bopped him on the head with her bouquet of exotic looking flowers. Luke, giggled, holding tightly to a pillow with Louis and Sophie's rings tied to it.

"Don't worry, I'll make sure he goes out at the right time." Marissa assured, taking Luke to the back of the line just in front of Sophie.

Violet bent down and picked up Luke when he got back to her. Kissing his head and rubbing their noses together.

"He has to be the cutest boy ever Vi." Minerva let go of Violet's arm so that she could pinch Luke's cheek, the boy batted her hand away.

"Not to sound conceded, but I agree." Violet hugged him one more time and put him down, thanking her mom for helping before Marissa took his hand and led him to the back of the line, just in front of Sophie.

"He looks so much like you. I can't believe he got your beautiful green eyes." Minerva gushed, taking Violet's arm again now that Luke was gone, she stared into Violet's eyes, "I always did love your eyes."

"Um, thanks." Violet said, looking away, watching her wife standing at the front of the line, holding onto Tenn's elbow. She watched the way the two of them talked back and forth, admiring the way Clementine's nose crinkled when she laughed softly at something Tenn said. Wishing she could be up there, that she was laughing at something she had said instead. Violet straightened her tie, remembering how Clementine had tied it for her just that morning, equally looking forward to having Clementine untie it later that night.

Sophie took a deep breath, nervous but excited as she made sure everyone was ready. When she confirmed that they were, she got Clementine's attention, who then tied the tent flap open and gave a thumbs up to the string quartet that immediately switched songs.

All the bridesmaids and groomsmen walked down the aisle, Clementine and Tenn leading the group. Maid of honor Minerva and best woman Violet brought up the rear. All the guests turned in their chairs and watched them emerge two by two from the tent. Right behind Violet came Luke, grinning broadly as he marched more than walked down the aisle with a big smile on his face, stopping to wave at Lee and Carley as he passed. They grinned back, ushering him on with a laugh. Once he got to the front, Violet pulled him to stand in front of her, high fiving her son before picking him up and beaming proudly at him.

The music shifted and out stepped Sophie, Remy tucked sleepily in one arm, holding her father's arm with her other hand. Her long hair was pulled up elegantly, her dress was sleeveless, flowy, and came down to her ankles but no further. She grinned from ear to ear when she saw Louis. He attempted to hold back tears, but was unsuccessful, using his blazer sleeve to wipe at his eyes. As soon as she reached the front, she hugged her father and kissed Remy's head before she handed him to Mr. Leigh. Remy began to cry softly as soon as she handed him off, laughter erupting from the crowd when Louis rushed down from his spot on the platform to take his son into his arms. He carried him back up to stand beside the preacher. Remy quieted down immediately as Louis proudly held the tiny boy, red hair shining in the sunlight, up on his shoulder.