Betrayal

LILY/NAUNET'S P.O.V.

I awoke to the sounds of laughter and the smell of alcohol.

I didn't have to open my eyes to know I was tied to a chair in probably an abandoned building along the coast. I tried to do a few spells but I was too drained to do anything, much less spells or even try to escape.

You shouldn't have trusted them.... This is what happens when you get attached...

The sound of Jay's voice caught me a bit off guard, then the memories of her betrayal returned.

I tried my best not to show that I was concious but i was sure they heard my hissing.

" Come on man, she can't be that type of person".

Jay sounded tired and almost concerned about me.

"Look if you want we can give her the drug and all but she wouldn't change....I've been friends with her for 2 weeks and she acts human enough for me to know she isn't one of those fish creatures."

My heart lurched a bit.

Mermaids were not fish creatures.. if I wasn't feeling so drowsy I would defend my kind!

"Look I'm alpha here and these mermaids are reeking havoc on the humans' society. This island isn't big enough for 4 supernaturnal beings anymore. We tried making deals - we even sent your brother , and what do they do?! They kill him! you should be more happy to kill them than anyone!"

Alpha? My head was hurting and I could barely hear their conversation. I was about to drift into the darkness when I felt a needle slip into my skin.

This wouldn't end well...

As soon as the drug began to seep into my bloodstream I could feel my scales forming and my legs joining together.

There was no bliss though. It was as if my very transformation was causing me more pain than pleasure..

Something's wrong...

I heard gasps from Jay and ..wait Roger and Jacob? I opened my eyes slowly only to see them, my friends who laughed with me and talked about the jocks and the hottest girls, my friends who insisted on visiting starbucks everyday of the week after classes, my friends who'd tried to convert me to a C.O.D. addict.....they were staring at me in amazement with specks of anger floating about in their eyes.....tainting their aura.

I suddenly felt hot , extremely hot....

I was on Fire....

The heat felt as if it was consuming my flesh... like the flames of Agni volcano on Afi island south of Marina Bay... I'd never felt such an inferno in my life... not even from Hell...

My mouth became dry and it felt as though all the moisture from inside me was being sucked out, burned out.

'They say if you make a mermaid cry, that she owes you a wish, and if you hear her entire song without dying, she blesses you with never ending fortunes."

I could hear the cries of the ocean. Her screaming out to me.

" Water", I croaked out, my body refusing to do as I wished.

Steam floated up into the air surrounding my tails. This wasn't medicine they'd given... this was a torture drug. One I'd been trained to withstand against, yet now I couldn't handle the intense pain that cloaked my form...

At least you can't die from this...

Dying would be the better option.. if it were one...

My eyes were changing colour rapidly; a clear sign that I would need to get in water before acid rain and other forms of harm could not be held off and the marine animals would suffer. My body would not perish, but the lifeforms I was set to look after would be to the mercy of pollution and the unbalanced elements.

I looked into the grey eyes of the alpha hoping for mercy.

You've grown weak.... You should never beg for mercy... You are a mermaid for Ceto's sake! For Nyx's sake! Don't even think about begging...

"Never thought I'd see the day when a fish like you begs", his expression was sinister and for the first time in all my life I was afraid of the enemy.

No, terrified...

I was out of my element, but I wouldn't beg... My eye's harden and I spat in his face with such force that I felt as if I'd released more than mucus and water onto his face...

Don't waste your remaining moisture taunting him... Just rest... 

"Bitch! You dare disrespect me!" His fist slammed down on the chair arm denting the steel." You'll regret that..."

I suddenly felt a bolt of electricity pass through my body, shocking me into submission. 

I bit my tongue, refusing to let him hear me scream, but that didn't stop the groans from being silenced from my ailing form. 

Water... Think of it.. It's your strength... Just meditate on it..

My eyes remained fixed on the Alpha's menacing gaze...

That's what you get for messing with werewolves..."