Frome.

A whole month had passed and yet, no hospital had been worked at. My legs were always on the brink of giving in and my body ached all over. Alec had lost the chance to go to Egypt and it seemed it was all my fault as I had to deal with the brunt of the issue. The longer I sat on it, thought about what was happening to me, the longer I realised Alec hadn't been such a great guy after all. The real turning point was just because of a text from Max.

I know you are off sick but I want to ask you about a patient.

Shoot. I have nothing better to do.

He has come in, bruises and cuts all over. He has all the excuses about this that and the other but none of it seems true. He sounds rehearsed and he has seen a drop in work attendance and he keeps telling me that she loves him even if I don't mention her. What do I do?

Sounds like domestic abuse but I assume that you know that. I have links and websites. There are numbers he can call. The likelihood is that a woman would intimidate him so you go in. Maybe Frome can talk to him while you talk to the woman. Make sure that he knows he can talk to anyone.

I began to look it all up and I couldn't stop going against the websites. Sometimes hitting did mean that he loved them and I knew that. Because, that was what Alec did to me. I had to take myself out of the situation as tears began to fall. I was being forced to realise the truth. Alec never loved me, he loved the high of hitting me, of hurting me and of putting me down. Sometimes it was a physical putdown as well, my scalp still hurt from where he had pulled at me and my skin still stung from the pain. The marks were worse and with everyday they got worse as he realised that I would always cover for his mistakes.

Seven months and three of them had been hell on earth. He was silencing me and as he did that, I lost my person and ability to control my life. I had taken a lot of time off for 'personal reasons' and they just assumed that I was really caught up in something. It was still in Bloom's head that I was part of a gang, I wasn't.

A new determination crawled over me as I threw on underwear and tight black dungarees. A white long sleeved top slid over my top as well. Black and white trainers covered my feet as well as black sport socks. I was put together for the first time. My hair was up in a bun and I let it down. Trying to cover up my face that was smothered in makeup and still I had bold stains of blackening bruises on me. The white top even showed some glowing beneath it as I then looked in the mirror. I knew that if I wasn't quick Alec would be back or I would pussy out so I got into my car.

By the time the engine started fear ran all over me and I regretted it but I had to go. The twisting that was in my stomach was fear, the same feeling I had mistaken for love only a few hours before. My heart sped up as I drove further and tears threatened to fall as I approached the hospital. It was still a fair few miles away though and I wanted to talk to Frome for myself. The ringing hit my ears before I knew what was happening.

"If this is you telling me that you are leaving the hospital for good or that you don't want to carry on with our sessions, I called it. Even if Max told me you would never." I smiled at the familiar voice and the feeling of his loving hug filled my mind. He cared a lot about those around him.

"Quite the opposite. I'm not coming in for work but, I was wondering if I could have a session with you at some point today. I am in the car now and should be like half an hour max. Traffic has been worse but it has been better." He sounded surprised but the far off sound of the hospital filled me with a comfort I never knew I could feel. The place I once wanted to leave gave me so much comfort that it was unreal for me to understand.

"Of course. Come straight to my office and we can talk. I always have time for you. Warn me if you are infectious or something. I can't afford to get sick now of all times." I laughed and watched as the light then turned green and the other cars moved on with me.

"Not infectious I promise. I will see you soon." I hung up before he could respond and then drove with no distractions. Music was off and my eyes stuck to the road. Fear eating me up but I had already called up Frome so he would be expecting me so I had to go see him. I couldn't let him down because I knew that he loved to help people.

The hospital was crowded and it felt nice to be part of the bustle. My hair was down and the curls had always brought me a lot of attention. But I kept my head down and managed to find my way into the right floor. People passed but I kept out of their way and they did the same to me. All I had to do was keep out of the way of the people that knew me well. I did know that Max could tell it was me just by my shoes so he was the one to really worry about.

Frome's office was quickly spotted though and so I almost raced to it. The classes of kids were passed as I waved my badge and got into the private rooms of the patient wings but I didn't care for them. It was his office I wanted and it wasn't until I got there that I looked up. I read his name and knocked. Looking down again as I waited for a response. He didn't give one though.
"Iggy, it's Venus. Are you in there?" The door was opened but I didn't look up. I just walked in and sat on the sofa where I had sat before, a month ago to the day, almost.

"How can I help you Venus? You sounded really concerned on the phone." As he said this my heart beat a million miles an hour and then, with tears in my eyes, I looked up. My green eyes must have been red at the edges but nothing prepared me for the look of horror on his face.

"Um, Venus. What happened? Who...who did this to you?" I wiped at my face and felt my stomach turn as fear of what Alec would do to me consumed me. He would kill me if he knew that I was talking about it to Frome. Hell, he threw me down the stairs just for not being in the living room or bedroom when he turned up one morning. I had only been in the toilet. Throwing up once again because he had hit me up bad the night before.

"Where do I go when I'm too scared to go home?" It was all I could say as he shifted closer and then gave up on whatever he was doing and just sitting at my side. His arm moved over my shoulder and then he pulled me closer. Alec, the historian who I met at the club had become the monster I gave myself to.

"Can you stay with a friend? Alec seems nice." As he mentioned the name a sob escaped and my hands wrapped around me. I felt like my life had been totally violated by him and everyone else felt like he was an angel.

"No." As I said this my phone went off and there it was and I couldn't escape it. Alec had called me which only meant one thing, he was at my house and I wasn't there. I picked it up and put it on speaker so that Frome could hear.
"H-hello." I managed to push out before cupping my face with my hands.

"Where are you? What happened to staying at home and being a good girl?" I couldn't think of a lie and the thought of him knowing that I was with Frome in the hospital chilled me.

"I uh, couldn't find any cheese for dinner so I just popped out to grab some. I won't be long I promise." He didn't believe me and that was clear as he went silent. When I got home I didn't know what was going to happen.

"Don't lie to me." I wanted Max. So badly. Something had to change and I wanted Max to be there for me but I knew that he was too ill for that. I would have to do it alone.

"I'm not I promise." The silence on the end of the phone filled me with fear and the arm around me grew tighter but it hurt me so I wiggled out of it and Frome looked at me, grief in his eyes.

"Get home now. No if, and or but, nothing is to leave your mouth." With that he hung up and I went wide eyed. He was going to kill me, surely.

"What do I do?" I asked and Frome didn't seem to even think as he dialed a number on my phone and the emergency services were on the other end. Just for me.

"Hello, I am Dr Frome from New Amsterdam and I have a doctor here. She has a man at home that is going to hurt her. She is sat at hospital with me right now but she needs medical treatment and I am only a psychologist."