1. The Penthouse

Jack's POV

Jack's POV

I woke up hearing Crutchie moving around. I look up and see him trying to get down.

"Where ya goin'? What are you?.. The bell ain't rung yet, go back to sleep!" I shouted.

"I wanna beat the other fellas to the streets. I don't want anyone to see that I ain't, uh.. been walkin' so good." He said fixing his shirt.

I shook my head standing up, "Oh, quit gripin'. You know how many guys fake a limp for sympathy? That bum leg of yours is a goldmine!" I exclaimed.

"Someone gets the idea I can't make it on my own, they'll lock me up in the refuge for good. Be a pal, Jack, help me down!" I see him holding onto the stairs about to fall.

"Jack!"

I ran over and pull him back up.

"You wanna bust your other leg too?"

"No... I wanna go down."

"You'll be down there soon enough. Take a moment, drink in my penthouse. High above the stinkin' streets of New York." I say looking out into the dark sky and the city.

"You're crazy." I hear Crutchie saying chuckling.

"Why, cause I like a breath of fresh air? Cause I like seein' the sky and the stars?" I walk across the scaffolding.

"Yeah, you're seein' stars alright."

Looking over the city I respond

"Them streets down there, they sucked the life right outta my old man. Years' a rotten rotten jobs, stomped on by bosses, and when they found him broken, they tossed him to the curb, just like yesterday's paper, well they ain't doin' that to me!" I exclaimed getting a bit into my feelings.

"But everyone wants to come here." Was all Crutchie could say.

"New York's fine, for those who got a big, strong door to lock it up. But I tell you, Crutchie. There's a whole 'nother way out there. So keep your small life in a big city. Give me a big life, in a small town."

[SANTA FE PROLOGUE]

THEY SAY FOLKS IS DYIN' TO GET HERE.

ME, IM DYIN' TO GET AWAY,

TO A LITTLE TOWN OUT WEST

THATS SPANKIN' NEW.

AND WHILE I AINT NEVER BEEN THERE

I CAN SEE IT CLEAR AS DAY

IF YOU WANT, I BET'CHA YOU COULD SEE IT TOO.

CLOSE YOUR EYES..

COME WITH ME,

WHERE ITS CLEAN, GREEN, AND PRETTY

AND THEY WENT AND MADE A CITY OUTTA CLAY

WHY, THE MINUTE THAT YA GET THERE

FOLKS'LL WALK RIGHT UP AND SAY,

WELCOME HOME, SON, WELCOME HOME TO SANTA FE!

PLANTIN' CROPS

SPLITTIN' RAILS

SWAPPIN' TALES AROUND THE FIRE

'CEPT FOR SUNDAY WHEN YOU LIE AROUND ALL DAY

SOON YOUR FRIENDS ARE MORE LIKE FAMILY

AND THEY'S BEGGIN' YOU TO STAY!

AINT THAT NEAT?

LIVIN SWEET

IN SANTA FE.

"Got folks there?" Crutchie asks me

"I ain't got folks nowhere. You?"

"Nah, I don't need folks. I got friends."

"Hey! How's about you come with me? No one cares about no gimp leg in Santa Fe! You just hop a palomino! You'll ride in style!"

I pretend riding a palomino across the penthouse.

"Yeah picture me, Ridin' in style."

"Hey!" I put my arm around his shoulders

"I bet a few months of clean air, you can toss that crutch for good!"

We hear the bell ring and we stop what we is doing.

"Time for dreaming's done."

I finish putting my vest on and yell down the scaffolding.

"Hey! Specs, Racer, Henry, Albert, Elmer, get a move on! Them papes don't sell themselves!"

RACE'S POV

"Albert, Elmer, Specs! You heard Jack, get a move on!"

Albert walks over to me, "I was having the most beautiful dream! My lips is still tinglin'!"

"Ooh, a pretty girl?" I ask nudging him.

"A leg of lamb." He smacks his lips shaking his head.