6. Finding Mavis

Mavis's POV

Mavis's POV

I was sitting backstage drawing when I heard someone walk up to me.

"Mavis? Dear?"

I looked up and saw that it was Miss Medda

"Oh hi Miss Medda..I hope you don't mind that I'm here." I said lowly standing up dusting off my pants.

"I told you that you are always welcome!" She said smiling. Causing me to smile back at her and pick up my things.

"What happened though dear? You look upset."

Putting my things back into my bag I respond.

"You know..these manhattan boys are a bit mean."

The look on her face was straight confusion, from her understanding, the Newsies were really polite down to earth fellas.

"The Newsies? How so?" She asked sitting down on a chair motioning me to sit next to her, so I did so.

I sighed, "It's mostly Race, but not very accepting over there. They wanna strike.. and Race said I had no right to be apart of it because I'm like Davey.. because I have a family, I don't know what it's like living like them.. and the fact I'm a girl."

She just shook her head, "That Race. Always sticking his nose where it doesn't belong."

I nodded in agreement, "I just don't get it. What does me being a girl have to do with it? And why do they just assume I have a perfect life? I've lived on the streets of Brooklyn all this time.."

Miss Medda pulls me into her arms, "Now dear, Race is probably just intimidated. These boys have never had or heard of a girl Newsie. Nor, one on the streets, these girls are usually.. high class ya know?"

I just sigh and nod. "Well he ain't gotta be rude to me. I'm not sure if I like Manhattan.. in Brooklyn I was welcomed in.. here it's harder." I feel a tear fall down my face and wipe it away.

"Don't say that honey. Manhattan is wonderful, you just gotta stay strong and.. well, those boys will embrace your difference when they are ready." She said.

I smiled at her and gave her a hug. Suddenly we heard the backstage doors burst open and voices.
"Mavis? Mav are you in here?!"

I know that voice, it's Davey! I stand up and see Davey and Les running up to me. Davey picks me up and embraces me into a hug.

"I've been looking for you everywhere! I was worried! Don't run off like that!" He says his arms still holding onto me.

I hug him back land nuzzle my face to his chest.
"I've just been here Davey. Im okay I promise!" I smile at him.

"I'm glad you're okay. I just got you back."

"Don't worry, I'm here to stay." I smiled at him

"Good! Because I've missed you Mavis!" Les said hugging my waist.

I smiled and hugged him back.

"What's the guys up to?"

Davey sighed and shook his head, "They are starting the strike. I told them it's a bad idea but it did no use."

I shook my head, "No it's a good idea. They just need to learn how to be organized."

"Jack stood up for you when you left ya know?"

I turned my head at him with wide eyes, "Are you serious?"

"Yes."

"I was for sure Convinced he hated me."

Miss Medda chirped In laughing, "Honey, Jack couldn't hate you even if he tried. He is full of love, he just had a hard upcoming."

"Really?"

"Yes Mavis, he talked about you when you left that night you know? He was worried."

I scoffed and crossed my arms, "Worried? I doubt it. He was to busy hitting on Katherine."

"He may not admit it, but Jack wants to protect you."

I shook my head laughing.
"I just can't believe that.. but anyway thanks Miss Medda, and Davey don't look for me okay?" I grabbed my things and left the theatre.