11. Katherine

"What is wrong with you!? Why didn't you help Crutchie?!" I started screaming at Jack while holding onto his collar as tears fell from my eyes

"Don't you care!!" I couldn't stop screaming at him. My emotions were everywhere.

"Mavis stop! Yes I care! Did you want Snyder to get you too?" Jack yelled back at me grabbing me by the wrists pulling me to him.

"Stop caring about yourself for once! This is crutchie! He can't defend himself!" We started rustling around in the street where my hat falls off and a scar across my eye shows.

Jack immediately stops what he's doing and just stares at me.

Like an instinct I grab my hat and fix my hair in front of my face to hide it.
"Is that why you never take your hat off?" He asks me stepping up to me.

I back away from him as more tears fall down my face, "Just stay away from me Jack."

And I run off leaving him standing there.
I soon keep running until I come across Katherine sitting at a desk, looking through the window I decide to walk in once I notice she's alone.

"Mavis?" She looks up at me from her desk.

"I didn't think you's remember me." I sternly said sitting across from her.

"Why wouldn't I?" She questioned me.

I slam my fist on her desk, "You we're so quick to sell me out to Synder! Don't pretend you weren't apart of that!" I yell.

She hesitated and sighs, "He was going to send me away too.."

I scoffed, "No he wasn't" I started laughing, "You were the prized child! He loved you."

"Mavis, father loved you. That's why he was so hard on you.. why didn't you just accept the offer of his?" She started going on with glassy eyes.

I rolled my eyes at her and took off my hat to show her the scar.
She gasps and holds a hand up to her mouth, "What happened?"

Grabbing my hat to put it back on I replied, "Synder happened. He beat me everyday till I left the refuge, one day it went to far and his cane left a scar."

I got up to leave when she started mumbling to herself.
"You heard the man, "Write it good." or it's back to wheezing your way through the flower show. No pressure. Lets go."

I heard her typing when she continued to speak, "Newsies stop the World."

She's reporting on the strike? Still?

I turn around and sit across her again, "A little hyperbole never hurt anyone."

She started typing again while she spoke with a Smile on her face.