Chapter Three

The first thing Chester did after leaving Mel with the doctors and a bunch of trustworthy officers was rushing to the police station where they held Richard McCoy.

Mel didn't have any fatal wound, but she could be dead by now.

Chester was well aware that, whoever shot her, did it on purpose to shoot her in her shoulder like some kind of warning. That didn't mean that she couldn't bleed to death if she didn't get a doctor to take care of her in time, and, by the amount of blood Chester had all over his clothes, she was going to be very weak after surgery.

He had to carry her to the car in his arms and he was so fucking mad! The officers weren't protecting the surrounding area of the mansion and he also didn't know what the fuck they were doing downstairs. They were reckless and because of it, Mel was injured.

As he yelled at them on the way to the hospital, he became aware that Mel was going to end up dead if any of those officers were assigned as responsible for her safety. And that was why he was even madder as he opened the precinct doors and ignored everyone's puzzled and inquisitive looks.

When Chester entered the interrogation room without authorization, Romero ran after him, fearing what he intended to do to the man.

Chester grabbed Richard by his collar and pushed him against the wall.

"Isn't enough that you got your younger daughter killed, you want this one dead too?"

Richard was imperceptibly scared of him. He remembered Chester a few years ago when he was still young and confined between the protocols and the rules. The young man was more clever than any other cop and he was fearless, but that wasn't enough to save Lisa. There was nothing he could have done:

Lisa was dead because his pride had her killed.

It all started when the police received McCoy in the precinct as he asked them for help. (It was all too strange to Chester. McCoy was asking for help... No, there was more to it, he was sure.) Apparently, he was being threatened and his mansion was trespassed by masked people several times, so he fretted for his two daughter's lives. Chester wanted that case. It could have been the turning point to the promotion every cop dreams about and he was such a young promising officer... So, his captain at the time accepted his request and put him in charge.

He met Lisa when he visited McCoy's mansion and he barely laid his eyes on Mel, but he also did meet her, not paying to much attention to the girl. 

The night Lisa was kidnapped haunted Chester for the next years. Chester had the criminals surrounded and had a clear shot on the man who was holding Lisa hostage. All he cared about was free that girl and get her into safety.

When he was about to pull the trigger, Richard showed up. Chester had the moment replaying over and over again and never realized what the fuck happened. It was all so fast... Richard ordered him to stand down. Then, he turned to his captain, telling him he had everything under control. So, his captain, a fucking moron, ordered him to stand down. 

"Mark, I have a clear shot!" He protested.

"I said stand down!" His captain replied.

"Fuck! Richard, he is going to kill her," he tried to beg for her life, but Richard simply dismissed his worry.

"She is my daughter. I decide what's best," those were his last words before a loud noise was heard.

Richard remembered how Chester yelled at everyone when he saw the little girls' corpse laying on the floor, and he rushed all the way to her, shooting the killer in both his legs, even against Mark's orders. That moment, Chester cursed the police, the protocols and the hierarchy. He cursed the laws and the rules and decided no one would be killed under his protection ever again. And for that, he couldn't be under anyone's orders. If he had taken the shot, probably Lisa wouldn't be killed. If he had ignored his superior's orders, she could be alive. But she was dead. As was his career as a policeman.