Chapter Eight

Mel was more aware of the danger this time as she explored the bedroom's drawers for clothes to dress inside the bathroom. There was no way she would allow another embarrassing situation to happen between Chester and her, and the fact that he ridiculed her every time he had the opportunity, honestly annoyed her.

She was constantly getting lost in her thoughts - all of them going back to Chester's self-defense lesson and how strange she felt around him. It was a foreign feeling, but she apprehended it was no good for her.

As she searched the bedroom, she nearly shrieked with happiness as she found a box full of brand new makeup set. It was simple: nude eye shadow colors, blush, concealer, mascara, lipsticks, and makeup brushes. It was not just the fact that it was makeup that made her feel a little happier. It was also the fact that she felt a little more comfortable, and less prisoner and, at least, she could take care of herself and do something to feel better.

So, she hastened to the bathroom and took a quick shower, washing her hair since she noticed a blow dryer on the bathroom furniture. 20 minutes weren't enough to do everything she wanted, but at least it could help her dry her hair faster. She also took time to change the bandage over her wound, but, once again, she failed to do a proper job on her own back.

When she left the bathroom, right in time (Chester was already leaning against the wall with his arms crossed in front of his chest, with an impatient look on his face), she was wearing casual clothes, but her almost dried hair and her makeup were on point. She only put mascara and concealer, but she couldn't help herself as she put the red lipstick on like she used to do on her daily basis - before her life turned upside down.

Chester furrowed his brows at the sight. First of all, where the hell did she get that lipstick??? His second thought was that red made her green eyes pop out, but also increase his attention to her plump lips. Was she doing on purpose? If he wasn't completely distracted by her already, that was unquestionably going to distract him.

"There was makeup in the bedroom, I thought it was for me," she shrugged, discerning how he strangely stared at her lips.

Chester didn't reply and entered the bathroom. Not long after, Mel heard the water in the shower and knew he was taking a shower. She stared at the door for too long, odd feelings taking over her body.

Nodding her head as an attempt to disregard whatever her body was trying to tell her, she walked to the couch and sat there waiting with a book in her hands. But her focus was on the bathroom, envisioning the droplets of hot steamy water strolling down Chester's muscled and tattoed back, all the way down to...

The bathroom door was snapped opened and a wet Chester came out, wearing only a towel under his navel area.

Gulping, Mel stared as he walked to the bedroom to get dressed, not even looking at her, but smirking as he was well aware that she was watching him.

She slapped herself mentally and when Chester came out of the bedroom minutes later (fully dressed), she didn't pronounce a word until they were in the car, driving away from that cozy forest house.

While she was at the shower, Chester filled the trunk of the car with food, clothes, and weapons, so Mel didn't have to anything. She just sat at the passenger's seat, looking through the window at the view passing by her at a high speed. Chester turned the radio on in the meantime, AC/DC playing. Without noticing, Mel started humming the lyrics of Highway to hell, hoping the song wasn't some kind of sign about her future.

"I didn't know you like these kinds of songs," Chester said, his eyes on the road as if he didn't even talk. "Interesting."

"There's a lot about me you don't know. But why is it so interesting?"