Chapter Seven

The sound coming from the kitchen woke Mel up. She groaned and tried to cover her ears with a pillow, but she knew Chester was doing it on purpose because it was time to get up. 

She walked to the kitchen rubbing her eyes, observing Chester eating breakfast.

"Good morning," she said.

"Good morning," Chester replied. "How was the couch?"

She rolled her eyes, not having the patience to endure his tacky remarks. His tone was too mocking for her taste and the smirk in his face made her certain of the intentions behind his words question. Pouring coffee into a mug and taking a bite of an apple, Mel sat at the table, still trying to gather her senses. They were running and hiding, but at least she was well-rested, eating proper food and she was finally cleaned. It wasn't that bad, at least at the moment, while Chester was not being a total asshole.

Chester was focused on some kind of map, using a pencil to write something that Mel couldn't see. She approached him discreetly to take a look at what he was doing and she understood he was trying to plan their trip do Mexico, flagging several points on the map, for some reason.

"Did I give you the authorization to look?" Chester asked, without taking his eyes off the map while he drank his coffee nonchalantly.

"Are you planning our route to Mexico? B--"

"-- It is none of your business --"

"-- because if you are, you should avoid this area," she pointed at a small town on the map. "My father has people there working. Drug businesses there, are all his."

Chester looked up at Mel, his face imperceptibly surprised.

"How do you know that?"

She shrugged.

"I may not want to belong to this world, but I hear and observe a lot. And I know the location of his dealers and other things, so..."

Raising a brow, Chester handed her the map and a red marker. She didn't need him to tell her specifically what he intended. She grabbed the marker and started drawing circles in the places she knew there was some kind of illegal activity and was dangerous for them to pass nearby. Chester watched her attentively as she focused on the map and wondered how the hell she was able to memorize all that information. It wasn't one or two places. No, she circled more than ten locations.

When she was finished, she put down the marker and returned the map.

Chester analyzed her work and nodded his head in approval.

"This is useful," he admitted, erasing the lines he drew before and adding other paths and detours.

Mel didn't say anything. She resumed her breakfast, waiting for Chester to finish what he was doing. She wondered what he had planned next, but she decided not to ask. So, she remained sitting at the kitchen island, eating and getting lost in her thoughts. Her shoulder was so much better that morning but she still needed to treat the one on her back. 

When he was finally done, 10 minutes later, Chester raised his head at Mel and got up from his chair. Walking to the front door, he told her to follow him.

"Where?" She asked.

Chester raised a brow. When he tells her to follow him, he expects her to simply follow him. He doesn't expect her to ask him questions. But since she was so useful before, he let this one pass.

"Well, you do remember you said you knew how to fire a gun, right? I want to see that," he smirked, opening the front door.

Mel followed him, not enjoying the idea of having a gun in her hand. Her father used to force her to have contact with several kinds of weapons and learn about them, and just the memories of those times made her shiver in fear. But she forgot all those images in her head when she noticed Chester stopping at the porch when he saw a duffel bag.