Chapter Seventeen

Mel sat at the edge of the bed as Chester shared with her the conversation he had with Richard. Chester decided he wanted her to know who her "father" really was and what he was willing to sacrifice in order to achieve what he truly wanted.

Additionally, he didn't want to give her another reason to stop trusting him, if that's even possible at that point, and told her everything he knew.

"He wants me to take you to him, with the proof about your mother's relationship with Tony, your birth certificate and the paper that says where the money is. He knew about this place but he was never able to take it himself because your mother was more clever than him," Chester told her, his stomach twisting as he told how Mel's father used her as bait. 

She discerned that moment she was by herself. Chester was a dead end for her, he had shown her that, and Richard, the man she met as her father her whole life, had no interest in preserving her safety. It was all strange to her, and it didn't make any sense yet. None of it.

"I told him I wouldn't take you to him if he didn't make sure you'd be safe and far away from this mess. I said you have suffered enough and that I wouldn't let anyone touch you," he finished in a lower tone.

Mel looked up at him, her tears strolling down her cheeks and Chester sat by her side, wiping her tears away with his thumb. She didn't understand many things, but, mostly, why did Chester confuse her so much. One moment, she means nothing to him, he uses her to get pleasure and then make her feel like trash. The other moment, he showed his humanity, his heart and how he cares for her. She understood he had built a wall around his heart for the past years, she knows he simply tries to defend himself to avoid getting hurt, but how can he be so horrible to her and lovely at the same time?

"He wanted me to take you to him and I said no. I can't let you go now... I h-h-ave to protect you, Mel..." He grabbed her hands, snapping her out of her thoughts and back to reality. "I told him it was going to be as I want it to be because that's what I agreed with him at the beginning. Your safety, no matter what."

Mel's terrified eyes made him realize she knew her father too well to know he'd never allow anyone to talk to him that way.

"He said it was my death sentence and told me to watch my back," he finally said.

Mel hid her face in her hands and muttered "We're dead. We are sooo dead."

He pulled her hands from her face and made her look up at him.

"No, we're not." With his index finger, Chester pulled her chin up to meet his eyes. "I'm going to get you out of this mess and you're going to start from zero, far away from here a--" He stopped all of a sudden, his eyes staring into hers as if he was searching for something. Then, he relaxed, as he seemed to have found it "And... then... we decide if I'm worthy of going with you."

"What?" She gasped, not certain if he meant what she thought he meant.

"Mel... I am not the kind of person you want in your life. You deserve better than this, but..." She was about to complain when he continued talking. "But this is not something to decide right now... You'll have time to convince me otherwise... There's a lot to think about right now..."

She didn't complain, but his words almost made her smile as she realized he wanted to run away with her too. He wanted to start from nothing, to leave everything behind and be who he wanted to be in a long time, with no burdens, memories or dark emotions. With her. It was a good starting point for her.

"What are we going to do then?" She asked, trying to fight the urge to be in his arms again.

"I already thought about it... We will go back," Chester replied all of a sudden, making her jump back in the bed and stare at him with a doubtful look.