Chapter Sixteen

Chester loved control too much for his own good. He had to have everything the way he wanted, when he wanted, no matter what he has to say or what he has to do to achieve it. But Mel wasn't going to stick around and be treated as an object. She wasn't going to be used and tossed away like garbage.

She wasn't that angry though - she finally figured him out. Well, kinda

Chester was afraid of her and what she might do to his head and his life. He was more than an insensitive prick, Mel knew that, but she didn't know the reason why, though - the reason why he was so closed all the time; why it was hard for him to let her in. It's not like she wanted to hurt him, but also, it was not like she was asking him to marry her and have lots of children with her.

Although she was starting to get accustomed to the rollercoaster of emotions and moods Chester has been revealing her, she needed to make him understand that it was wrong. That he can't simply use someone and then say things as he said to her. Things that hurt.

No matter what happened in his past to make him behave so aggressively, just because she made a more intimate question about the future, is no reason to lash out. 

He had to learn a lesson. Learn what emotions and sentiments are and that words and actions can wound you so badly that an apology, as honest as it is, can't heal you. At least, not immediately.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid," she muttered to herself when she woke the next morning after realizing Chester was the first thing in her head. Slapping her own face, Mel checked the time at her wristwatch on the top of her bedside table. 

6 P.M. 

It's so soon, she thought to herself, groaning as she hid under the sheets.

Then, she hopped out of bed. Chester might be still asleep, so she could just do her morning routine and go back to her bedroom, without looking at his face and remembering the stupid things he told her. And even if she sees him, she was gonna ignore his existence. He didn't want to talk to her last night, right? Then, that day, Mel was the one who didn't want to talk anymore. It's childish, she knew it, but she couldn't care less, obviously.

She made her own breakfast, took a bath, dressed up in a long t-shirt and some underwear she took from her small bag, grabbed a bunch of food and books and got back to her bedroom, locking the door.

Hearing movement during the day, she knew Chester was up and doing something in the kitchen. She wondered what it was, since she heard noises like he was knocking things down and breaking stuff. As the hours passed, the noise ceased, and it was like there was no one in the house. Mel tried not to think about it, about the possibility of Chester leaving her alone in that house. So, she closed her book, closed her eyes and slept until it was almost midnight.

Chester had spent the whole day cursing under his breath, talking to himself, as if he was complaining and arguing with Mel. She didn't even give him any sign of being alive, but, as stubborn as he is, he didn't want to knock on her door. He knew she was mad, it was annoying and cute at the same time, but he never thought her silence would affect him that way.

He slammed his bedroom door and locked himself inside when he realized he was standing in front of Mel's bedroom door, ready to knock and apologize. When he noticed what he was doing, he almost slapped himself. He was basically crawling at her feet - crawling for a young woman that he knew for a couple of months. How was that even possible? When did he turn that reckless and stupid?

Knowing the effect she was having on him, he locked in his bedroom to think. He had to figure it out. He had to find out what was happening. 

Chester pushed her away the previous night because the possibility of starting a new life with Mel far away from his life actually scared him. It didn't scare him, it terrorized him. No one better than himself to know the wasn't someone to be trusted with someone else's heart, and that was what Mel wanted.