Chapter Twenty-Two

Mel heard a thud in the upper floor after Tony tied her up to a chair and went to see what was happening upstairs. Her eyes couldn't leave the gun he left on the table. She didn't know if he did it on purpose or if he simply forgot it. Either way, it was too conveniently placed, even though she was completely immobilized.

Scanning the room around her, she remembered the lessons she had with Chester. It like it was years ago, and she felt a twist inside her stomach when she thought she might never see him again. She just needed to know if he was alright and she wanted him to stay away because she'd be alright. At least, she prayed for it.

Tony left the lights on and Mel could scrutinize every inch around her with her eyes, trying to find a way to escape, just like Chester taught her. Anything would do, a knife, a blade, a piece of ripped wood, anything pointy enough to weaken the rope around her.

Upstairs everything was so silent, and Mel feared Tony's return, so she searched harder for something useful to get her free. By the corner of her eyes, she noticed those small saws to cut water pipes. They were thin and fragile but if she could just drag her chair to the table at the corner of the cave, she could try to grab it and drag herself to the place Tony left her.

Looking at the only door in that place, she made sure no one was coming down before putting her plan in action.

"Ok, here goes nothing," she muttered, taking a deep breath before dragging her chair as quickly as she could. The noise she made was loud, but she didn't think he would be loud enough to be heard upstairs. But even if Tony heard her and went downstairs to check on her, well, fuck it, she was fucked up anyway.

She was halfway through when she heard someone talking upstairs. Two people. Two males. But she couldn't recognize the voices, she just knew they were too husky and low. Almost whispering.

"Come on, almost there," she said to herself, trying to gather strength and stamina to achieve her goal.

With another push, she was able to place herself near the table where the saw was. The hardest part would be to grab it, but since Tony's ropes were a little loose in her legs, she was able to slightly lift the chair so that the saw was at her hands level.

Hearing steps, her heart started beating faster and faster, and it seemed like she could throw up at any moment. She had to go back to the place she was before and act as nothing happened.

"Jesus!" Mel whispered when the saw cut her hand as she tried to hide it under her arm.

It burned and she noticed some blood staining the armchair, but she ignored the pain and tried to go back as fast as she could, just in time as the door swung open and a smiling Tony appeared once again. She didn't want to give any opportunity to noticed she was out of place, so she started talking immediately.

"What was that?" Mel asked.

"Nothing I can't handle." Tony simply said, turning his back on her to grab a bag from a wardrobe. Mel watched him as he brought the bag to the bedside table and stopped looking at her with a curious look. "When is your birthday, sweetheart?"

Mel furrowed her brows and was ready to tell him to fuck off, but reminded herself not to piss him off.

"4th September," she said.

Tony's face lightened up at her answer and he simply clapped his hands.

"We're almost there!!! I must compensate for all the years I wasted..." He started rambling on about what he used to give her mother on her birthdays, but Mel didn't pay attention to any of his words as she noticed the content of the bag he possessed. When his cell phone started beeping, Tony smirked but his expression hardened at the same time. "We're going to be a happy family, I promise you, my dear daughter. But first, I have a revenge to complete."