Chapter Eighteen

"Come on!!!" Mel nagged Chester for half an hour while they were driving to a motel where he intended to spend two nights. 

"Mel, I said no," he replied, trying not to get pissed off.

"Chester, people are chasing me. Eventually, we will have to face them," she started talking again and Chester looked at her with a threatening look that he knew too well didn't work anymore on her. "We don't know what is going to happen, and if something happens to me --"

"-- Nothing will happen to you," he disagreed.

" -- if something happens to me, at least let me enjoy this party. Just five minutes, please. I'll... I'll go undercover... I'll dye my hair or shave it... Please, pretty please?"

Chester brought their bags to the bedroom and sighed in despair. She has been nagging him for too long and he couldn't handle it anymore. The girl truly achieves what she wants, whenever she wants, and there was nothing he could do to say no to her. And that made him realize, he was doomed.

"Five minutes. No more. No less. You will do whatever I tell you to do. You will follow all my commands, and you will not protest if I tell you that we're leaving."

Mel squealed and jumped up and down the bed, claiming victory. Chester was shocked by her childish behavior, but at the same time, he smiled warmly at the sight.

"Yes, I promise!"

Later that day, Chester and Mel left their motel bedroom and walked to the other side of the street where there was a small store that sold a little bit of everything: food, drinks, phones, chargers, footwear, clothes, and, most importantly, hair dye. Chester gave her a good amount of money and told her to stay close, but he also gave her enough space to wander through the store freely, always keeping an eye on her.

Mel stood in front of the several types and brands of dyes and she felt like a goat looking at a math problem. She simply looked for the color she wanted and grabbed it. It was a platinum blonde that came with bleach for darker hair and a color neutralizing that enhanced the greyish. She didn't understand much of the subject but, as she read the instructions, it seemed like it was what she needed. Then, she wandered through the store and took a look at the clothes exposed in the mannequins, her attention being caught by a certain dress.

She looked around, searching for Chester, and he was near the electronic area, looking at some chargers. So, she grabbed the dress and decided to try it on. 

Soon after, she left the small fitting room and before paying for the items, she also tried a pair of sandals that would match the dress. If she was going to a party, she'd dress well. Besides, she was going to a party with Chester, she would have to make an impression and, hopefully, tease him a little bit.

Happily, Mel showed up at Chester's side with a bag with her items and they both walked out of the store and back to their bedroom.

Chester knew there was something strange in the gleam in her eyes, but he thought it was better not to ask. He did notice how happy she seemed when he gave in to the party and, even though he still wondered if that was a good idea, he couldn't help but enjoy her permanent smile.

They spent the rest of the day in the motel. She read a book she took from her mother's" safe haven" and he tried to figure out how they were going to end that mess. Chester made a couple of calls and destroyed the phones and the SIM cards after them. Mel decided it was better to leave him alone with his thoughts and plans, and focused on the book for the following hours, occasionally glimpsing at him and admiring his gorgeous features. 

Later that day, Mel knew it was time to take care of her hair and get ready for the party. What truly mattered was to change her appearance, so no one would be able to recognize her. At least, not so easily. She entered the bathroom, took a shower and stepped out, taking a deep breath as she started cutting her long and dark hair. It was as if someone was ripping her heart from her chest, but it was necessary. She'd cut him and bleach it and paint it ash blonde - she was sure it would match her golden-toned skin color and make her green eyes pop.