Chapter Five

After a few minutes of darkness, Chester started gathering his senses.

Blinking several times, he groaned and grabbed his throbbing head, noticing that he was bleeding. He hit his head against the window when someone crashed against them...

Mel.

He looked at his side, but her seat was vacant. He looked around when he heard tires screeching and witnessed a black crashed van driving away fast and he could observe Mel's head through the smoked rear window.

Searching for his gun, Chester drove as fast as he could, trying to catch the van. He didn't know what the hell he was going to do, but losing Mel wasn't an option. How did they even found them was a question bothering Chester's mind, but that wasn't the most important thing at the moment.

The car was completely destroyed but at least it still worked.

The blood was strolling down his face, from the cut on his head, but the rage he was feeling inside of him was aching even more. He was too distracted to acknowledge the van following them, how was that even possible? He never gets distracted, he controls the environment around him and all the variables. He knows everyone's single moves, he always keeps a watch on his own back, so why the hell didn't he pay attention to what truly mattered?

As he approached the kidnappers' car, he came up with a stupid and reckless idea that would most probably get him killed. But it was the only thing that he could think at the moment that didn't included crashing against the van and, probably, hurt Mel even more. Or worse. He drove faster to get to the side of the other car, set the cruise control to maintain the speed and opened the door, grabbing his gun and ammo.

Mel's head raised from the seat to look at the source of the bullets fired against her kidnappers. She widened her eyes when she saw Chester throwing his body to the top of their speeding car.

The kidnappers shot against the ceiling of their van, trying to get rid of Chester, but Mel used her feet to kick the gun out of their hands.

"BITCH!!!" The man on the passenger's seat yelled, turning over his seat to punch her face.

Mel yelped, but her aggressor was suddenly motionless with a bullet against the back of his head. She screamed in terror, as his blood dashed against her face. She could see Chester, who had half of his body out of the window, fighting against the driver, kicking his face until he was completely knocked out.

Taking control of the steering wheel in a blink of eyes, Chester opened the door and threw the driver's body out, seating peacefully at the drivers' seat.

Mel was panting, grabbing her head. She was dizzy, almost losing her senses as all her blood left her tanned face, making her look like a blank canvas.

The last thing she saw and heard was Chester's voice and his head turning around to look at her.

"Mel, stay with me," she closed her eyes and opened them again. "Doll, come on, stay with me."

But Mel wasn't strong enough to stay awake and she finally gave in to the darkness.

Chester had to come out with some idea to get them out of that place. Their car crashed against a bridge and fell down to the river, so all their belongings were lost. All he had was their wallets, secure cell phones, and some money. He ran out of ammo, so he also threw his gun away. They wouldn't get far, especially with the kidnappers' car.

***

When Mel opened her eyes again, she furrowed her brows.