Chapter 1

I get lost in watching the snow fall slowly from the sky and whiten the streets of Toronto.

The car slows down and this allows me to see the children play with the white flakes, while adults decorate the exterior of their homes.

A smile appears on my face, at the thought that in a few days it will be Christmas.

It has always been my favorite festivity, because people become kind and less selfish;
and then because i can eat a lot and laze on the sofa without anyone telling me anything.

But at the same time, now at this time of the year I feel even more the lack of that place I called home.

Three years have passed since I left Seoul with my mother, to follow my father's work.

As soon as they told me that we had to leave so far, I despaired myself like never before.

I had all my friends and a lifetime of memories in that city, and then there was him ...

I was madly in love with a boy from all my adolescence, but he didn't know.

He considered me a friend and I lived in the suffering of unrequited love for years.

His name is Park Seonghwa, the son of my father's boss.

We met as children, when our parents still dragged us to their business dinners, and we punctually ended up looking for our own corner to play.

We grew up together, and we were basically inseparable, until we entered high school.

He was the most beautiful boy in the school, rich and charismatic.
It took little time for him to become popular, especially among girls.

And then I was there ... an awkward,  funny little girl with her round glasses, who had no idea how to be feminine.

While I was packing up, I remember that I read a message from Seonghwa, where he told me that he couldn't accompany me to my grandmother the next day because he had to meet with a random girl.

I was like crazy.

I remember my tears perfectly, both because that girl was not me for the umpteenth time and at the same time because I would never see him again.

I took courage and called him.

I kept telling myself the words I always wanted to say while the phone rang.

I knew it was too late, but I thought that if he told me he loved me I would fight with all of myself to stay in Seoul.

Three rings..

He didn't answer that night.

I took it as a sign, it was not destiny..

He was not my destiny.

I resigned myself and left without opposing.

I still remember his messages;
he was angry at first, because I didn't tell him anything, he learned that I had left from our classmates.

Then the sadness and affection.

With time the messages turned into daily goodnight, and over the years they have become just birthday wishes and merry Christmas.

I read everything, unable to forget or hate him, but I never answered him ...

"Yuna!"
My mother's high-pitched voice awakens me from my thoughts.
"Are you listening to me?!"
She says annoyed, continuing to keep her attention on the road.
"Can you repeat the last sentence?"
I ask her a little embarrassed,
I haven't listened to her since she started telling me the shopping list all the way to the mall.
"I asked you if you think I should get your father a watch or a necktie...Ah it doesn't matter"