Moving In

Rob and the kids unload the Suburban, putting the cages of chickens, piglets, and lambs onto wheeled dollies, so they can push the cages along the mine floor to the main gallery. Once the animals, suitcases, and boxes are inside, Rob moves the X-37 covered Suburban to the gravel area on the other side of the bridge. If it's safe tomorrow, he'll move it farther down the road. The location of the hideaway is a secret. A space shuttle parked at the bridge is likely to draw more attention than Rob wants.

Rob carefully conceals the mine entrance, closing and locking the camouflaged chain-link gate, locking the wooden door with the warning signs, and then secures the heavy blast door. It's a cumbersome process, but necessary for their protection.

As he walks into the main gallery, he sees the kids playing with the animals. Alyssa is poking her hand through the cage, trying to pet the lambs. Ethan is chasing the piglets from one side of the cage to the other, making them squeal and Ethan laugh. Courtney isn't in the room.

"Where's your mom?" Rob asks the kids. Ethan motions with his head toward the kitchen. Rob walks quietly to the galley and watches Courtney rummaging through the cabinets, frantically moving, and rearranging the plates, cups, and bowls. Rob stands silently, but Courtney must sense his presence because she turns to face him. Long strands of hair fall in her face. She slowly pulls them back, smoothing her hair. Her face is flushed, and her eyes are red.

"I didn't know how you'd want the cupboards organized. We just tossed stuff in there. This place could use a woman's touch."

Courtney drops to a chair at the kitchen table. "How long will we be in this place? I want the life we had. I want Rick. Where is Rick?" She pauses and gulps in air, ready to cry. Slowly she asks, "Do you think he's dead?"

"Our Ricky boy, he's a smart one. He'll survive. I know he will."

"I can feel him. If he were dead, somehow, I would know, but I'm scared. I'm so scared."

"The important thing is we're alive. We have food and shelter and we have each other. We'll make the best of things and create good lives for the children. We need to be strong for them." Rob looks Courtney in the face and then wipes a tear from her cheek. Courtney attempts a smile.

"It's best we stay busy. Me and the boys, we did the best we could. Reorganize to your heart's content. And our boy, Rick... well, I'll bet he'll be coming back to us as soon as he can." Rob gives Courtney a hug. "Just as fast as he can. You'll see."

Courtney nods. "I'll be fine. If he tries to call, can he reach us?"

Rob is about to answer when he's interrupted by a loud crash, followed by screaming kids in the main gallery. Rob runs into the main shaft. He's cut off by Ethan chasing piglets, followed by Alyssa chasing the lambs down the shaft past the living quarters.

Alyssa cries out excitedly as she runs toward the lower level of the mine. "Don't worry. We'll catch them."

"Chase them into the farm. You can run them right into their pens." Instructs Rob. He turns to Courtney. "Well, that's one way to move the livestock into the mine."

He pauses. "See? They'll find their fun here. They'll be OK." Courtney forces a smile as she dries her eyes with a tissue.

Ethan and Alyssa chase the piglets and lambs to the farm, working to herd them into pens. The lambs are easy. Alyssa gets most of them into the pen. Ethan snatches one as it scurries away, then hands the fluffy little lamb to Alyssa.

The piglets are more of a challenge. Ethan chases them around the farmyard grabbing them one by one. He chases each one to a corner of the farmyard to trap them, then grabs the plump little pig. The last piggy runs to hide behind a stack of pallets. Ethan gets on his knees and tries to coax the little pig out of its hiding place. He holds his hand out, rubbing his fingers together as if he's holding a treat for the piglet while calling for it. "Here, piggy, piggy. I've got something nice for you. Here, piggy, piggy."

The piglet edges out of the hole, hesitating for a moment to see what the treat might be. The piglet charges, biting the treat. But it's not a treat. It's Ethan's finger! Ethan lets out a loud howling scream. The piglet runs. Ethan lunges, trying to grab the pig, but it slips out of his hands and runs across the farmyard.

Ethan shrieks, lying on the ground crying. Alyssa runs to his side. "What's the matter? Did it bite you?" Ethan screams between sobs, gulping air as a river of tears stream down his cheeks. Alyssa kneels on the ground, hugging Ethan, rocking him. "Did it hurt you? Where does it hurt?" Alyssa pulls at his hands to examine his fingers. There is no blood. "What happened, Ethan? It's just a stupid little pig." Ethan's body shakes. He can't stop sobbing.

Alyssa holds him, smoothing his hair. Ethan slowly calms and between sobs he speaks breathlessly. "They're dead. All dead. I should be dead!"

"Who's dead, Ethan?"

Ethan shudders as he sputters out the names. "Van-Vanessa. Chris and Allie."

Alyssa gasps. "What? You were at their house. They're dead?"

Ethan's eyes focus on the darkness of the mine. He sits still, looking at nothing. "We were playing Dodge It. I was on the Glide-pad. There was a loud, crashing noise. I saw little holes in the roof. I watched the dust sparkle and dance in the beams of sunlight. It was kinda beautiful, you know? I followed the sparkling dust to the couch where they were sitting." Ethan pauses, gulping the cool air of the mine. A heavy tear rolls down his cheek. "They were dead. All of them, on the couch. I would have helped them but there was nothing to do. It was over in a second. I just stood there looking at her." Ethan pauses. "I thought of Mom and you and I ran." Ethan shakes and sobs again.

Alyssa hugs him. "It's not your fault. There was nothing you could do. We're safe. That's what matters."

Ethan sits silently, staring into the darkness being held by his sister.

"I know you have a crush on Vanessa."

"I do not!"

"I'm not teasing. It's sweet. You felt love for her. She died. Now, you're crying for her. It's romantic. I wonder if anyone would cry for me?"

Ethan slowly wipes the tears from his eyes and looks at the sweet smooth face of his twin sister. "I'd cry for you."

"Not you! You have to cry for me. I'm your sister. I mean, you know... I wonder if anyone would cry for me, the way you cried for Vanessa," Alyssa ponders.

Ethan stands. "I think George Richards likes you." Ethan smiles, anticipating his sister's reaction.

"Ew yuck! Not Plump George. Anyone, but him," Alyssa cries out.

The siblings walk together to the upper level.

"Don't tell Mom or Uncle Rob that I freaked out. Mom is scared enough," Ethan says, wiping his face, hoping to hide the evidence of his sorrow.

Alyssa nods agreement. "We are all scared. She's worried about Dad. I am, too. I hope he comes back soon."

"Dad won't forget us. He'll be back. I know it," Ethan says, trying to sound confident.