Freaky Dink

Rick, Jin, and Becky move swiftly, yet cautiously. Using the city map and guided by Curtis, who is monitoring city cameras, the trio makes their way through the corridors of New Zion. Rick leads them to the end of a narrow passageway that opens onto a main corridor.

"OK, we take a quick left then the Black Guard armory is just ahead."

Rick edges around the corner then jumps back as a large contingent of Black Guard artillery glide out of the armory. Rick, Jin, and Becky watch as the artillery mounted on autonomous vehicles moves down the main corridor.

"I'm glad we didn't walk into the middle of that," says Rick.

"We led people into the city to save lives. Instead, all the people from the elevators are dead because of us." Becky grieves.

Rick tries to calm Becky. "They're not dead. They will sleep for a few hours. The Arcadians call it being relaxed. They'll be fine. The colonel doesn't use bullets or explosives. I guess he doesn't want to ruin his cities."

"Curtis, are we good to go? Can you see if anyone is in the armory?" asks Jin.

"You're good. The armory is clear. Black Guard is moving all their equipment to the other side of the city. Get moving," says Curtis from his bunker.

Rick runs down the wide corridor and into the armory followed closely by Jin and Becky. They enter a large empty room.

"Everything is gone," says Becky.

"Don't worry. I'll find what we need." Rick scrounges through boxes on storage shelves. "We need to change clothes. Put on these are skin suits. They'll protect you from relaxation darts." Rick tosses the skin suits to Becky and Jin.

They change clothes pulling on Black Guard slacks, tunics, and black boots over the skin suits. They give each other a once over. Becky does in a pirouette to show off her new attire to Jin. They both giggle like silly kids. Rick hands Jin and Becky black kepi hats to complete the Black Guard attire.

"The skin suits aren't very comfortable. They're thicker than I imagined," says Becky, adjusting her tunic.

"Just a few details to complete the package," Rick says as he rummages through inventory on the shelves.

Rick moves from shelf to shelf until he finds what he's looking for. He removes three metal rings from a temperature-controlled enclosure marked D-Nox. He holds two rings in one palm and holds the third in his other hand. "Hey you two. Come over here. I've got something you need."

Jin and Becky watch as Rick holds a chromium U-shaped ring in front of his face. Flesh-colored appendages wiggle from the ends like they're trying to climb out of the metal ring.

"Is that alive?" Becky asks squeamishly.

"Not sure what they are," Rick says as he inserts the squiggly ends into his nostrils. Rick shivers slightly as the fleshy arms wiggle up his nose. "Tickles though."

"Aww no. I am not sticking one of those in my nose," Becky says.

"You both must feel light-headed. You were just giggling. It's the city air. It's mixed with a gas to make people compliant. The nose ring emits a chemical antidote. Not to mention, it completes the look of a Black Guard. It's easy. Jin, show Becky," Rick says, offering the nose rings to Jin.

Jin picks one up. The small worm-like arms wiggle. Jin laughs anxiously as he slowly puts the ring to his nose. "I don't think I will like this." He inches the ring closer to his nose with anxious anticipation. The wiggling arms stretch up and wriggle into his nostrils. Jin shakes his head and rubs his nose. "I think I'm gonna sneeze."