Chapter 10

Surprisingly we are able to make it through the rest of the camping trip with little awkwardness. I'm fairly certain Craig is the only one that knows what happened on the mountain which is fine by me. Mark hasn't attempted to talk to me which only makes me think that Craig told him it'd be better to leave it for now. On our last night I pretended to complain of a stomach ache and Craig said he'd stay with me. No one thought twice about the last minute switch of tent mates. Except maybe Maxence, which was expected.

 I'm so relieved when we finally get home. I need to separate myself from Mark and Mikkel for a while and try to work things out in my head. When I wake up on Wednesday I think that there's nothing better than a nice long early morning run to get my mind off things.

I wake up at 7 hoping that it's too early to run into anyone on my way out. Sure enough, when I pass the McMorris house it looks just as quiet as it did when I got back from the field last night, except now both Don and Cindy's cars are gone. I run my usual route and try to make sense of what is going on.

My best friend professed his love to me just hours after I kissed a guy that gave me butterflies -which I never get- and on top of all that, the guy I kissed just so happens to be one of my best friend's friend. Great. I mull this over in my head for awhile before I give up. I honestly have no clue what to do, and I have a championship coming up, I need to focus. I turn up my music to drown out any thoughts about boys and keep running.

After six miles, I find myself back on my street, drenched in sweat, but not nearly as tense as I did when I left this morning which is good. I just need to make it in my house without seeing anyone. Sounds easy enough. At least until I see Mikkel standing on my front porch. I think about turning around and running some more, but I desperately need water.

"Hey. Tanner" he says when he sees me. When I look into his eyes I suddenly become very aware of the sweat dripping from every inch of me, my heavy breathing, and how disgusting my hair and face must look.

"Hi." I say breathless as I pull my ear buds out. I can hear my heartbeat and I'm not sure if it's from the cardio workout or Mikkel. "You wanna come in?" I ask as I walk past him and unlock the door.

"Oh no, I'll be quick. I was just wondering..err..um.. are you okay?" he asks me.

"I just ran six miles, how okay should I be?" I ask laughing a little.

"You're absolutely insane." Mikkel chuckles and I flash him a smile.

"What were you wondering?" I ask leaning against the door frame for some support as I pull back my left leg and stretch it.

"Right sorry, I was wondering if you had any plans later?"

"I have to be at the school at five, we're reviewing film. Why?" I instantly regret saying this. I should have lied. I should have told him I was busy.

"Well I was just thinking that maybe the two of us could hang out, like just the two of us." he rubs the back of his neck nervously.

"Mikkel-" I start but he's quick to cut me off.

"Look it'd be chill, just you know two friends hanging out." 

"Friends?" I question knowing that we've already kissed, I mean I was there.

"Well you know what I mean, just chill, no pressure. Look Tanner I just want to get to know you a little better." he rambles.

"Well what did you have in mind?"

"It's a surprise."

"Okay, should I dress up or?"

"What you have on is fine." I look at him like he's crazy. "Well not those exact clothes, it would be nice if you showered. But just like athletic clothes should be fine."