8. The Candidate

A truck drives along a long, straight road in the middle of the tundra. Ruby is sitting next to Penny and the driving Atlesian Knight. She is staring ahead very sleepily, doing these supply runs for the past few days has become rather...long to her.

Ruby: Not that I'm bored, but why can't we just use an airship to take these supplies to Amity?

Penny: The components for Amity Tower's construction are far too heavy. All that weight would require precious Dust we should be saving for the launch itself. And the Grimm that will come after.

Ruby begins to come closer to nodding off to sleep.

Ruby: It just makes for long... very long... supply runs.

Penny: At least the tundra is scenic.

Penny smiles and looks out the window. In the distance, a pair of penguins watch the truck, squawking.

Ruby: *unimpressed* Totally.

Ruby begins falling asleep, soon leaning over to Penny's shoulder.

Penny: Ruby!

Ruby is startled awake, causing her to readjust her hat.

Penny: I just wanted to say how excited I am to be working with you in a professional capacity. As friends!

Penny grins excitedly.

Ruby: Haha, me too, Penny.

Penny: Relationships are so interesting and varied!

Ruby: Speaking of friends... Have you been able to make any new ones? Since, you know...?

Penny: Now that I'm the official protector of Mantle, I don't really have a team anymore. General Ironwood says I don't have time for friends.

Ruby: Oh, uh, how do you feel about that?

Penny: I feel like I wish I could do both the things I need to do and the things I want to do. Is that normal?

Ruby: That's about as normal as it gets, Penny.....

Ruby then looks at Penny with some concern.

Ruby: Penny, can we talk about what happened at Beacon? To you, I mean?

Penny tries to keep a smile upon Ruby mentioning the Fall of Beacon more directly, but she ultimately frowns.

Penny: I... would prefer not to. I know I said I forgave Pyrrha but...after what happened... I'm kind of...scared to be around her? I know she didn't mean to use her semblance against me but...

Ruby nods before looking back on the road.

Ruby: I understand. Living with what happened has been hard on Pyrrha, though she tends to keep it to herself. Maybe she talks to Jaune about it though. And you can talk to me about it when you feel like it.

Penny smiles at Ruby as Qrow speaks up from the back of the truck.

Qrow: Everything going alright up there?

Ruby: Just fine Uncle Qrow!

Ruby gives a thumbs up. In the back, Qrow is playing a card game with Reaper and Clover, the latter sets several cards down on the supply crate they are using as a table.

Clover: I win again. Maybe we should call it quits?

Qrow/Reaper: Shut up and deal.

Clover laughs, then gathers up the cards and shuffles them. He looks at Qrow.

Clover: Your niece sure is one of a kind, huh?

Qrow: They all are. Been through a lot together.