13.

(This chapter is brought to you by chibi Author struggling to get his cool ideas written down. Like, seriously, I keep thinking up cool stuff in my head but when I write it down, it comes out as weird to me.)

Weiss is holding an invitation to a banquet hall at the Schnee Manor.

Weiss: Only my father would turn a hostile takeover into a fluffy PR move.

In their dorm room at Atlas Academy, Weiss is sitting in a circle with Ruby, Oscar, Yang and Blake. She, Ruby and Oscar are sitting in chairs, and Blake and Yang are sitting on Weiss' bed.

Ruby: On the news, he said he just wanted to break bread and hash things out. Maybe it won't be so bad? We do want the General to start opening up to these people, right?

Oscar: Yeah, but on his terms. Ironwood's going to be locked in a room at his rival's own dinner party. I know Jacques says he's happy to moderate, but all that really means is he'll be the one controlling the conversation.

Blake: Not hard to imagine how that's gonna play out.

Weiss: I still can't believe he won. Robyn was supposed to be the people's champion, wasn't she? *sighs* There's just too many coincidences.

The group hear a voice from the entrance to the room.

Reaper: Funny how you think foul play was involved in a democratic election as soon as the candidate you wanted loses.

They all see Reaper walking in with his hands clasped together behind his back. Penny is standing by him, keeping an eye on him.

Reaper: It really says a lot how little faith you guys actually have in the system.

Ruby: Reaper! Shouldn't you be back in the hospital?!

Penny: He was rather insistent on leaving after being poked with needles. But his wounds seem to be healing quickly, so Doctor Argent let him leave for now. Until she needs him for more tests that is.

Reaper shudders a little bit. He is not looking forward to being poked and prodded again. Ruby and Yang smile while Weiss looks at Reaper.

Weiss: Are you saying that we should just accept that my father just won an election that many people and the media believed he shouldn't have won?

Reaper: Absolutely not, something is real fishy about the circumstances of him winning. I'm only saying how it's funny to me how quick you are to assume he may cheated.

Weiss is silent for a second before responding.

Weiss: Well, Tyrian and the Associate attacked Robyn's party just seconds before the election results came in and the power over there went down at the same time, probably by a hacker in the power grid. The timing around that makes me skeptical.

Reaper nods at Weiss, approving at her analysis of the circumstances. Yang looks at Weiss with a look of concern.

Yang: You really think your dad might have something to do with Salem?

Weiss: I think my father would do whatever it takes to win.

Ruby: And we should do the same.

Weiss: Meaning...?

Ruby: Well, no one knows your dad better than you, and out of everyone going tonight, I'd say you're the only one who could snoop around the house and not be questioned. If Jacques Schnee is up to something, I think we should know what it is.

Weiss thinks about it for a moment, then gains a somewhat determined look.

~Later at night, brought to you by chibi Ligeia and chibi Reaper singing karaoke~