Creation of Rubber Soul

It was mid January and we were busying writing new songs for an Album.  The four of us, and George Martin was there to tell us what to do in the studio that day.  I had been writing a song that made my mind wander about love and hate.  Most of us wanted to pitch in a song.  George was writing a song called "Think for Yourself" which I thought sounded pretty good so far.  We all had a few ideas to compose into the record albums.

   John was tuning his guitar as he had a sheet of paper out with song lyrics on them.  For me I had began to write a song about a french girl named Michelle.  I just thought of the French words that went along with my first verse and line.  Other then that we messed around and played a few rits to practice.  We needed more ideas to come up with in order to make a full album.  

   Ringo was being normal as ever, going along with the songs we wrote and following our directing to the beat we wanted.  Sometimes I'm thankful for how honest and kind Starkey is.  With the four of us lads we composed most of our songs that day in the studio, then afterwords we talked with one another during noon time at lunch.

  We had lunch in the lounge, just down the hall from the recording room.  George was eating a ham and cheese sandwich, Ringo had a wrap, John was eating a salad, and I was eating some chicken noodle soup that I made from back at my flat.  George looked to me and said,

"You made that yourself?"

"Yeah," I nodded my head, "It's pretty good, first time I made it actually."

"Me' mum always made me make my lunch  before going to school."  George rolled his eyes.

"And how old were you?" John asked.

"I was seven years old," George replied with a scoff.

 "Sometimes your mum's and dad's just want you to grow up with a snap of their fingers but, it's not always going to be like that for everyone."  Harrison took another bite of his sandwich.

"We're certainly not kids anymore." Ringo added.

"We're more like-- young men." John said with a fancy voice.  I snickered and he smiled at me.

   Sometimes when John made jokes it can be quite nice and funny.  Even in a serious conversation he would always have that joking sarcasm.  When tensions are high he'll throw in a joke to make things a little easier and less tense.  That was just the kind of person John was and I thought of that as a very great thing about me' lad.  

  After lunch we went and continued to record our songs in the recording studio.  George Martin had been hounding us about not messing up.  We were always screwing up so, nothing really mattered ha ha!  We had a full two to three weeks to make our songs before the release day.  

When it came time to go home, George and Ringo went off back to their homes as John stayed with me for a while outside of the studio.  He lights a cigarette and exhaled smoke from his thin lips and looked to me with a concerned look,

"Sooo, how's Heather going?"

"She's been good, y'know, started back up with her journalism and reporting as normal for the Post." I replied nodding my head.

"I think you'll see her again, maybe when we start touring again sometime this year."  John said.

"When do we start touring?" I asked.

"Around Mid August." He shrugged taking another drag of the cigarette.

"I see." I crossed my arms with a puzzled and serious look towards the ground.  

John puts out his cigarette,

"Well, February is coming, maybe you ought to send her something nice in the post.  Maybe a box of chocolates, a card, or a necklace."  Lennon suggested.

"Thas' a good idea mate, I just might take that advice."  I smiled.  

We paused an looked to the road for a moment, hearing nothing but a bird fly by and a couple of cars pass.  Lennon and I sat on the steps outside of the studio thinking about songs and other things.  Just then, John asked,

"Maybe you should go over to New York and spend time with her for a week or two during Valentines.  After we finish recording our songs maybe."

"In February?"

"Well yeah, but, not for a whole month because we need you to help us release those songs to the public.  You just have to cover yourself up a bit because of all the fans."  John said with a smug smile.

"Why are you suggesting I spend two weeks with Heather during Valentines?" I asked with a brow up.

"Well you could spend a night together...or maybe have dinner.  There's a whole lot of stuff you could do Paul!  You the womanizer of all these birds, you be you and you choose what you want to do with her.  I know your my best mate Macca."  John said to me proudly.

"Oh alright John, but I'm not going to do everything your telling me cause that wouldn't be so smart."  I said wagging my finger in his face.  Soon I stood up with my friend and had him by the shoulder,

"You yourself keep that wife an son of yours."

John chuckled, "I will mate."

Soon we parted and went off back to our homes, and I walked down the street of Liverpool back to my flat where the light shined in front of my door.  I unlocked it and went inside closing it walking into my home.  

    That night I sat on the kitchen chair tapping my black boot heel on the wooden ground.  I thought about the songs we recorded today from our 1965 Album.  What would I call that album?  I'm sure it'll come to me, but other then that I also thought about what John had told me.  To spend more time with Heather.  

    I just might do that.