Chapter Two

Jeramel's Point of View

They left. She left.

I saw them packing their things in their car. Tita told me they were going to the airport because they needed to visit Yannah's grandfather. So I assume they would go to Canada.

When we were kids, Yannah would always talk about her Lolo. She really loved him.

I don't know how long they would stay there, pero alam kong matatagalan sila.

I watched their car leave our neighborhood. I was waiting for Yannah to look at me by our window, but she didn't. I admit it, I was hurt.

Why did she not text or tell me that they were leaving? Baka emergency kaya wala na silang time. But I won't blame her. I think kasalanan ko rin naman kung bakit nawala yung closeness namin.

But I have my reasons too.

"Truth or dare?" They asked Yannah. We were having a bonfire in the woods. Everyone from the school is invited to attend. Of course, me being the bad influence, inaya ko si Yannah na pumunta kami dito.

"Uhm, truth," Yannah answered.

"Ay, bakit ayaw mo ng dare?" They asked her. She shook her head and smiled.

"Alam kong mahirap ang dare niyo, so I choose truth nalang."

"Okay, ang question is... Do you like Jeramel?" One of the girls from our class asked. Natahimik kaming lahat dahil sa tanong na 'yon.

Napaawang ang labi ni Yannah. She stared at me and I was also looking at her. I was waiting for her answer.

"Of course n-no, I don't like him," she replied.

"Owww," the crowd said.

I pursed my lips and avoided her gaze. Tumingin nalang ako doon sa bone fire.

A part of me thought she would say yes. That's why I was hurt. I thought we had mutual feelings. I guess I only assumed.

"We're only in a brother and sister type of relationship," Yannah added.

She made it clear. So it's pretty obvious that she doesn't like me.

I sighed and sat on our sofa. Nawalan tuloy ako ng gana. Hindi ko na itutuloy ang party mamaya.

I turned on the television to watch any show, but I was shocked when the news suddenly popped out. Usually, during morning or evening na may news.

"This is Vivian Montefalco, broadcasting live from Metro Manila, Philippines. I would like to inform all the citizens that..." The newscaster was acting weird. Also, napakagulo ng background nila. Parang may mga nagbanggahan na kotse at may mga tumatakbo na mga tao.

"Uhm... A dead male patient from Saint Lucia Hospital came back from life-only to bite and e-eat the doctors and other patients," the newscaster continued.

Ngayon ko lang napansin na may sugat siya sa kanyang kamay. She was bleeding!

But I didn't take it seriously. This is probably a prank or an advertisement. So I just shrugged off the idea that maybe something isn't right. I continued to watch.

"The dead male was carrying an unknown virus, and once bitten or scratch, the virus will also affect you. I'll show you what the bite looks like," lumapit ang cameraman upang ipakita ang kagat sa kamay ng newscaster, "You can see that it's bleeding non-stop. The veins were color black... Oh, my lord!"