Chapter Eleven

Jeramel's Point of View

Agad kong sinara ang pintuan at nakahinga na ako ng maluwag dahil nakatakas kami ng buhay. I was ready to sacrifice myself for her to survive. 

I leaned against the door while trying to catch my breath. Then I felt a sudden sting in my arm. I slowly looked down, and the whole world crumbled when I saw blood in my arm. I don't know if it was a bite mark or a scratch. But I knew this came from the zombies...

No...

I felt weak and cold. I don't know what to do. Fuck. 

Is this it? Am I going to die?

I shook my head and took a deep breath. Tumingin ako kay Yannah na ngayon ay gulat rin na nakatingin sa akin. She also saw my wound. I can tell that she was worried and shocked.

"I'm sorry..." I mumbled. I promised myself to protect her and to always stay by her side. How am I supposed to keep that promise if I am going to turn into one?

A tear escaped my eyes. "Go..." My voice cracked.

"No... ," she said and held my wrist, pero lumayo ako sa kanya. 

"Don't come near me," I said. Lumingon siya sa akin, her eyes were furrowed, and her lips were pursed. Tears also started to flow from her eyes. 

"I don't want to hurt you," I added. 

We stared at each other's eyes. I was scanning her face, memorizing every part of her feature. I think this is the last time I will see her, but at least I know she's okay and alive.

Then I saw Brylle and others running in our direction. I can see that they're worried.

"Ayos lang kayo?" Tanong niya. Nanatili kaming tahimik ni Yannah. I don't know what to tell them. 

They noticed that we were not talking kaya tahimik din sila. Naglakad nalang ako palapit kay Hyra at inagaw ang baril sa kanya. Lahat sila ay nagulat sa ginawa ko. Gulat na lumapit sa akin si Yannah. 

"What are you doing?" Tanong ni Yannah.

"Hey, give that back," sabi naman ni Hyra. 

"Please, stay away from me," I told them at saka lumayo sa kanila. I was standing ten feet away from them.

Lahat sila ay naguguluhan kung bakit ko kinuha ang baril. I forced a small smile and showed them the wound on my arm. I saw how their eyes went wide and their jaw dropped as they stared at my wound. I think they already have an idea of what is happening.

"Umalis na kayo. I don't want you to watch me," I said. 

"No, we will not leave you here," Yannah's voice was shaking. She was staring at me. I felt a sudden pain in my chest—watching her see me like this hurts.

"Are you sure bite mark or scratch 'yan ng zombie?" Nagtatakang tanong ni Hyra. I licked my lower lip and slowly nodded my head. 

I got this wound when zombies started to attack us. So I'm pretty sure, it came from them. 

* * *