Chapter Three

Jeramel's Point of View

We're running for our lives. Hindi ko alam kung ilang metro na ang tinakbo namin. The girl, she was already tired. That's why I decided to stop for a moment.

We were in the middle of the road. I can see dead people lying on the floor. May mga parte ng katawan na nakakalat at mga dugo. 

"Kaya mo pa?" I asked the girl. She nodded her head.

"Why does your shirt have blood stains?" I asked. I don't know if she got bitten or was wounded. But I was sure that if she got bitten by those zombies, then she should've turned like one. 

"Papa's blood..." She answered. My lips parted because I was shocked. I saw how her eyes became teary. I should not have asked that. 

"He got bitten. They killed him," she continued. Umupo ako at hinawakan ang kanyang balikat.

"I'm sorry," I said. I can't imagine watching my parents get bitten and torn to pieces. I felt so bad for her.

"Thank you po for saving me. I tried to keep up with the strangers, but they left me, so I was left alone... I was running for my life," she continued. 

Niyakap ko siya. She must've been very afraid. 

"Don't worry, I won't leave you. We're going to survive this. I promise," I said.

"What's your name?" I asked and wiped the tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Riane po. I'm ten," she answered. Oh, she's younger than I thought. I really sucked at predicting.

"Nice to meet you, Riane, I'm Jeramel," I told her at ngumiti siya sa akin.

I stood up and scanned the area. We need a place to hide. We won't risk our lives by continuing to run because we need to save our energy, and it's getting dark.

"Grrrr..." Nagulat kami dahil sa narinig namin. Pinapunta ko sa aking likod si Riane, habang hinahanap kung saan nanggaling ang ingay na'yon. It was creepy.

"Grrr..." I finally saw it. It was a tall man full of blood. His eyes were bloodshot, his mouth was bloody—holy shit! 

Agad kong kinuha ang bat sa akin bag. Buti nalang ay naisipan kong kunin 'to. 

"Ganyan ang pumatay sa papa ko!" Riane said, in fear.

So this is what zombies look like.

It's scary and disgusting...

I didn't want to kill it. I don't know if he's still a human. Pero paano naman kami? Alangan naman na hayaan kong makagat kami.

I took a deep breath and stared at his eyes. 

"I'm sorry," I said quietly before slamming the bat on his head.Napahiga sa sahig ang lalake pero patuloy pa rin ito sa paggalaw. He was growling so badly.

For one last time, I hit his head. At doon ay hindi na ito gumalaw. 

Oh, so to kill them, we just need to target their heads.

Riane and I watch in horror as blood gush out from the zombies head. 

"Let's go," I told her. She held my hand and we started to walk away.

Not far from us, I can hear people screaming and asking for help. I would want to help pero as I said, I don't want to risk our lives. Mas lalo na at may kasama akong bata. 

My top priority is to survive and find a safe place.

Napapalibutan kami ng nga restaurants and random buildings. I don't think it's safe to go to one of those. 

I saw a van, so I checked if it was safe. No blood stains or dead people. I think they just abandoned this car.

For me, staying in the van is safer than staying in those buildings that have so many passages. Baka out of nowhere bigla nalang mag-pop out ang zombies. Kaya we'll stay in the van.

"Tara," I said at naunang pumasok si Riane.

I closed the door and removed my bag. Naalala ko na may pagkain pala akong kinuha. I bet Riane was also hungry.

Kinuha ko ang chocolate at tinapay sa aking bag. Binigay ko ito kay Riane and it made her smile.

"Chocolate's my fave," she said.

I replied, "Me too."

We continued to eat while watching the zombies pass by the van where we were staying. I was quite shocked that Riane wasn't scared of them. 

It's like a herd, magkakasama silang naglalakad. They were growling like wild animals. 

I grabbed my phone from my pocket and I was relieved because there was still a connection. I need to check for updates.

I turned on my data but it's weak, kaya hindi ko mabuksan ang Facebook at Messenger ko. 

My phone suddenly vibrated because I received a message. 

SAFE ZONE PH

National Emergency! Please go to El Maximo's oval. The Philippine and US military are waiting for survivors there. Helicopters and planes are ready. Bodies will be checked for safety. No bite marks, scratches, or traces of wounds.

'Yon lang ang nakalagay sa message. 

El Maximo? That's pretty far from here. I gulped because I was nervous. I'm not sure if we're going to arrive there alive. 

* * *

Yannah's Point of View

I slowly opened my eyes. My vision was still blurry. My head hurts so badly. Pati rin buong katawan ko ay parang nabugbog.

"Mom? Dad?" I asked.

I heard people shouting and running. 

Hindi ko na-realize na baliktad ang sasakyan namin. Basag na din ang mga windows.

My eyes widened when I saw Dad and Mom. They were bleeding and not moving. I want to scream and ask for help, but my mouth won't even open.

Tears started to roll down my eyes. 

I wanted to believe that they were still alive. But half of the car crashed, kaya naipit si Mom at Dad. 

I can't even see their legs and feet anymore.

Oh, my god.

Kahit masakit ang buong katawan ko, pinilit ko pa rin na lumabas. Sa bintana na ako dumaan dahil basag na din ang salamin nito.

I slowly stood up, and my lips parted when I was in the middle of chaos. 

Ang daming sasakyan na nagbanggahan. People were running so fast na para bang may humahabol sa kanila. I was confused.

"Takbo! Paparating na sila! " A stranger shouted. 

Sinong paparating?

I don't care about what's coming. Kailangan kong ilabas ang katawan nila Dad. 

Why is no one helping me? Bakit ba sila nagtatakbuhan.

I felt dizzy, so I leaned against the car. I touched my head because I felt something cold. I thought tears were rolling down my cheeks, but they weren't. It was blood!

I stared at my hands. Kaya pala masakit ang ulo ko.

Then suddenly, I collapsed on the floor. I tried to get up, but I really can't.

My eyes slowly closed as darkness slowly consumed me.