Chapter Fifteen

she fell first

Yannah's Point of View

I was six years old when we moved into this new neighborhood. I met amazing people and made new friends. And I also met him. I met Jeramel.

Magkatapat lang ang bahay namin. There was a road in between our houses. He was the snobbish and rude type of kid. I mean, he's nice with adults, but he's got an attitude when it comes to me. 

Kindergarten

"Hi!" I sat beside Jeramel. He was silently sitting on his seat while reading a textbook. Tinignan niya ako mula ulo pababa sa aking paa. Why is he so grumpy and masungit? He's sitting alone dito sa one table and I don't want him to be lonely, kaya lang naman ako lumapit sa kanya. 

"Can I sit here?" I asked while pulling the chair beside him. 

"No."

My mouth went agape. Ang sungit niya talaga! 

"Uh... you don't like me ba?" I asked with my tiny voice.

"No. I just want to sit alone." Tipid niyang sagot habang binabasa ang kanyang libro.

I clenched my fist. Isusumbong ko siya kay Mommy at Daddy! 

Jeramel's parents were so nice and approachable, tapos siya napakasungit!? The audacity? 

Grade 1

Jeramel used to snob me all the time. But because I continued to annoy and interact with him, he slowly got used to my presence. He doesn't push me away like he used to do during kindergarden. 

"Jeramel, sinong gusto mong maging partner?" Our teacher asked. We have a by pair activity kase.

I raised my hand proudly. "I volunteer, teacher!" 

Our teacher gave me a smile. She was about to say something, but someone interrupted her.

"I want to be paired with Jeramel!" Sandra said, raising her hand.

What!? Wala ba siyang manners? Alam niyang mas nauna ako.

"Uhm, Jeramel. Who do you want to be paired with? Yannah or Sandra?" 

Napalunok ako habang nakatingin kay Mel. The whole class went silent because we were waiting for his answer. I was proudly smiling because I knew he would choose me. He's literally my best friend, and he doesn't even have any interaction with Sandra. I doubt he would choose her.

"Sandra."

The smile on my lips disappeared. Nabingi ba ako? Am I hallucinating?

"Okay. Yannah, pair nalang kayo ni Asher."

It felt like my whole world had crumbled to the ground. Why did he choose Sandra? Crush niya ba? Mas maganda ba siya sa akin? They're not even close.

Asher sat beside me and gave me a big smile. "Buhatin mo ako sa activity, ha?"

"Whatever." I told him and rolled my eyes.

For the whole activity, I never glanced at or looked in Mel and Sandra's direction. I was afraid I would get hurt. 

How dare she talk and smile to Jeramel!? My Jeramel!?

This is so annoying.

"Why are you angry?" Asher asked when he saw me rolling my eyes and biting my lips because of frustration.

"I'm not angry!" I sounded so defensive that it made him chuckle.

"Okay. Sabi mo eh."

"What if help mo nalang ako dito?" I said and pointed at the colorbook I was coloring.

"Kiss mo muna ako," he joked and chuckled. Kinurot ko siya sa kanyang bewang and that made him shout.

"Aray!"

Grade 2

"Where did you buy your cat ear hairband?" Sandra asked.

"Mall."

"You look so jejemon with that."

Pinanlakihan ko siya ng mata. "Ikaw nga ang panget ng yellow mong skirt," I replied, while pointing at her yellow skirt. 

"How dare you!?"

I rolled my eyes and continued to lick my ice cream. Ever since first grade, Sandra has always trash-talked me. Hindi niya ako nilulubayan. She was so annoying!

I wonder if Mel also thinks the same about me. Ngayon ko lang na-realize na masyado akong feeling close kay Mel. He also probably thought I was super annoying.

"This is my father's gift! Take back what you said!" She ordered. She screamed so loudly that it caught the attention of our classmates.

"Ayoko."

"Take back what you said... Or else..." 

I arched my brows. "Or else what?"

I saw her raise her right hand—it was too late for me to realize that she was going to slap me. I closed my eyes and waited for her hand to slap my cheek. Pero wala akong naramdaman.

One...

Two...

Three seconds passed, pero wala pa rin akong naramdaman na pagsampal. So I decided to open my eyes.

My jaw dropped when I saw Mel, holding Sandra's hand. And Mel pushed her by the shoulder. Sandra's mouth went agape, and her forehead creased, obviously shocked.

For the first time, I felt my heart flutter. 

He just saved me from being slapped by her.

Grade 3

"Oy, classmates ulit tayo!" Asher said at saka umakbay sa akin. 

I was lowkey annoyed kase kaklase ko na naman siya. Ugh. Kakainis.

"Tabi tayo," he even offered. I was about to say no, but before I could even talk, someone pulled me away from Asher.

"She will sit beside me." Mel said to him.

Napaawang ang aking labi habang pabalik-balik ang tingin ko sa kanilang dalawa. Gosh, ganito pala feeling na pinag-aagawan ka. 

Umirap lang si Asher at tahimik na bumalik sa kanyang upuan. Mel held my hand and pulled me to the front seat. Nauna na siyang umupo at umupo na rin ako sa tabi niya.

For the whole duration of the class, I was smiling. But the smile on my lips disappeared when my teacher enterwd the class with Sandra.

"Hello kids, be nice to her. This is Sandra and she will be joining our class starting today."

I took a deep breath. What are the odds of her becoming our classmate when there's literally ten other sections she could have joined!? This is so frustrating!