𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 | 𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐧

"WE'D LIKE TO OFFER YOU A NEW POSITION," my boss says, sliding me a red plastic folder

I cock an eyebrow, looking down at it. I was called in here and, originally, I was afraid that I was gonna be fired. I don't know why they'd fire me, but that's always a fear of mine. This is my favorite job. I've always wanted to report on sports. I wish I would be able to see my friends' reactions now. I wish I could see Benny's. I reach across the table slightly, my hand reaching the folder. I use my index finger to lift the file and slide my hand beneath it to pick it up. I pull it towards me, opening the front flap. I look down at it.

On-Field, Play-by-Play Reporter. With: The Los Angeles Dodgers.

I swallow sharply. The Dodgers. Why the Dodgers? I mean, I love the Dodgers, but they don't love me... Benjamin Rodriguez plays for the Dodgers. He's 'the jet'. Everyone knows him. People in Tokyo, Japan even know him. He's a big deal. A big deal who hates me. We met when I was twelve. He was thirteen. We met in the summer. It was hot and I was helping my grandmother collect bottles for her recycling business. She'd pay the local kids who collected bottles and take them to the recycler. One day, a tall boy wearing a green and white baseball tee, a pair of dirt covered blue jeans, a pair of P.F. Flyers, and a dodgers baseball cap and jersey walked over with three grocery bags filled with plastic bottles. He traded them with my Grandmother and she gave him five dollars. He told us he was going to go buy a couple baseballs with the cash he earned. I said I'd walk with him to go get a water. On the way there, he told me about the Sandlot—an oasis for baseball. A baseball fanatic's safe haven. We went together later that day and I met his friends. From then on, I was number nine in the group.
"We know this is very different than what you expected. But, you've been expressing your love for the Dodgers for forever and you love baseball. Why not send you with the Dodgers and report on every game? Then, you'd get to speak to the players, the coaches, the fans, and the opponents." My boss, Tanner Whyte, says.
I nod, flipping a page. The salary shocks me—$100,000 dollars. I smile, looking up at them. I set the folder on the table.
"Look, Tanner, I'm sure you mean well, but are you sure you don't want to give such a well paying position to someone else?" I ask.
He nods. He looks at his assistant, nodding. She smiles, handing me an unsealed envelope.
"We bought you a plane ticket for L.A. You leave tomorrow. You'll be reporting on Thursday and Friday's games. This will be your trial run." He says.
I smile, looking into the envelope. I look back up at them, nodding.
"Thank you, sir. I really appreciate this. This means the world to me." I say.
He nods. We all stand and he extends a hand to me to shake.
"Well, I suppose I should let you go home now and pack for your flight. Call me when you land and I'll have my personal Chauffeur take you to Dodgers stadium to speak with the coaches." He says.
I nod. I spin on my heels, taking the envelope with me as I walk out of his office and down the hall towards Clark and Michelle's offices. I knock on Clark's door three times, smiling. I knock twice on Michelle's door then step back over to Clark. He pokes his head out.
"What happened?" He asks. "They didn't fire you, did they?"
I shake my head. I hold up my shiny red folder and white envelope that holds my plane ticket.
"Nope. But I have to head home soon and pack for my flight." I say, stepping into his office.
Michelle steps into the office, closing the door behind her. I sit on the top of Clark's desk.
"You do? Wait, flight? What happened? Where are you going?" She asks.
I shrug, holding up my folder and envelope to her as well.
"I don't know. You tell me. Where does it say I'm going on my ticket?" I ask.
I hand her my white envelope. She peels the top back, removing the blue and white ticket from the pouch. She reads the ticket, spotting the location.
    "Los Angeles—Like the Los Angeles? Like where the Dodgers play?" She asks.
    Clark wraps his arm around her waist, looking at the ticket, eyeing it closely. He nods.
    "Yeah, it says L.A. Why you going to L.A?" He asks.
Michelle and Clark have been dating for three years now. As much as they want to keep it a secret, everyone who watches Update Central can tell. They flirt on camera all the time—it's obvious that they're in love. I take the ticket and place it back in the envelope.
"When I went into that office, I was almost one hundred percent confident that they were going to fire me. But, they didn't." I say.
     She cocks an eyebrow, looking up at Clark before looking back at me.
     "Well, what happened?" She asks. "Why did they call you in? And why do you have a plane ticket?" She asks.
     Clark raises his water bottle to his lips and takes a sip as he waits for my answer. Clark and Michelle know how much I love L.A. It's like a second home for me. They also know that my favorite baseball team plays in L.A. The Dodgers. Benny's team.
     "They offered me a job. I'm gonna be an on-field news reporter for the Dodgers." I say.
     Clark almost chokes on his water before swallowing and gasping.
     "Holy shit! You're kidding, right?" He asks. "You can't be telling the truth!"
     I hand them the red folder, allowing them to look at my salary and everything.
     "You're lying!" Michelle shouts. "Oh my God, congratulations, Lennon!"
     I smile, hugging her.

I want to apologize to Benny with all I have in my heart but I can't over the phone. If I got the chance to speak to him in person, it would be perfect. I could spill all I've been holding inside of me to him. Make sure that he knew the truth. Make sure that he knew that I loved him—Correction. Love him.