𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 - 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞 | 𝐛𝐞𝐧𝐣𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐧

"And why the Hell not? It's obvious you two were made for each other—you drive each other nuts! You're destined! Why would you give that up? Give her up?" He asks

I smile, looking down the hat in my hand. It's old, weathered, well-worn. Loved and cherished. I turn around, looking back at him.
"I said I didn't think I'd go and catch the flight to New York. I never said I was giving her up. New York may be where she lived but New York isn't home. Her home is where she made friends, created memories, fell in love. New York offered her a lot but it never offered those things. New York was never home. She spent the better part of six years all in one house, rather than bouncing around from town to town every two years like everywhere else before. Home is San Fernando Valley. Home is here—in California.A little over twenty minutes from here." I say.
He looks at Daniel, his eyebrows furrowed. He looks back at me.
"What's in San Fernando Valley that makes it so special?" He asks.
I squeeze the hat in my palm, a smile rising to my wet cheeks.
"Our common walking grounds—An oasis for baseball unlike any other." I say. "A safe haven for the gifted and untalented alike. A place that turned players of all abilities into a team. The best damn team you had ever seen. An oasis that trained the unfortunate to play a game never imaginable. The place I learned to cherish the game and all of it's players. The Sandlot."
I look back at the exit, smiling even wider now. I wipe my cheeks, nodding at Cal.
"Cal, hand me your keys. If I go now, I can reach her in time." I say.
He reaches into his bag, tossing his keys to me. I nod, thanking him.
"Wait, what about your jersey? You can't show up looking like that—you're covered in dirt." He says, pointing at the dirt staining my white and blue dodgers jersey.
I shrug, shaking my head. I don't have time to change. I need to see Lennon.
"I don't have time. Besides, it's not like I stayed clean playing baseball all those years ago either." I say, grabbing my bag off of the bench.
I run in the direction of the exit, pushing my way through the crowds.
"Sorry, excuse me!" I say. "I'm really sorry but I need to get through."
I push my way through adoring crowds, making a mental note to make sure that I thank them later. I press the panic button on Cal's car, spotting it in a VIP parking space. I run over, climbing into the car. I start it, driving as fast as I can in the direction of San Fernando Valley. The Sandlot lives in the heart of an Urban Neighborhood. It's a 19 mile drive to the outskirts of the valley. But, it's worth it. I drive into the neighborhood, spotting our cul de sac at the end of the road. I see Smalls' house, then mine, and just before my house, I see Lennon's house, still the same light yellow color it was before they moved. I drive to my house, parking in the driveway next to mama's car. I walk inside, a smile on my face.
"Mama?" I ask, walking to the kitchen where my Mother stands before the sink wearing her common apron.
"Benny?" She asks, dropping her sponge in the sink.
I smile, shrugging as I approach her. When I left for the majors, baseball devoured my life. It ate up all of my time. I lost touch with my mother for a while. I haven't been home in months—I've been a bad son to her.
"What are you doing here?" She asks, approaching me.
I smile, wrapping my arms around her tightly.
"Someone important came back to L.A. All of the boys did, actually. They came and visited me at the stadium. But, I actually can't talk long. I promise that I'll be right back, but I have to get to the Sandlot." I say.
She smiles, cupping my cheek with her hand, the smile lines on her face framing her eyes and mouth.
"My boy, it's just like you're a kid again. I'll see you when you get home." She says.
I kiss her cheek, nodding. I run out the back door, running through the streets past Vincent's Grocery and Pharmacy. Squints waves from inside, holding the youngest of his daughters in his arms. I wave back and continue running. Groups of children stand in the road and on the sidewalks, talking and laughing. I run past them, sprinting to the sandlot. I run past Mr. Mertle's old house, then through the old fencing, now mangled with weeds and shrubs, and make it to the old rickety diamond. Lennon stands at Home Plate, staring up at the sky. I approach her, the dirt crunching beneath my cleats.
      "You were wrong, Lennon," I say, exhaling sharply. "That kiss that was supposed to make me realize that I could make it without you was wrong. I kissed you and it made me realize something else."
      She turns and looks back at me, wrapping her arms around herself.
      "And What is that, Benny?" She asks, her voice cracking.
      "That I don't want to live if it means living without you." I say.
      Her mascara is smudged beneath one eye, but easily wipes away when she reaches up and wipes her eye.
      "Benny, we can't do this. We can't keep hurting each other this way. I don't want to hurt you." She says.
      I exhale approaching her. I take her hands in my own, looking down at her now.
      "I never gave you a chance. I should have given you more time, but my emotions got the best of me and I was gone before you even had the chance to talk. And these past few weeks, I've been avoiding the subject, hoping that if I ignored it enough, it would go away. If I had just let you talk, let you explain, who knows where we would be right now." I say. "I want you to forgive me. Please. Can you forgive me for all of my Asshole ways?"
      She smiles and swallows sharply. She exhales and a sob escapes her mouth.
      "You were my Best friend, Benny. Losing you was the worst thing that ever happened to me. And, I tried for years to move on, but everyone I met, everything I did reminded me that it wasn't with you." She says. "And I just have one thing to say to you..."
      I raise an eyebrow, looking down at her. She sniffles and brushes her hair out of her eyes.
      "What, Lennon? What do you have to say?" I ask, my voice quiet.
       "Benjamin Franklin Rodriguez... I love you." She whispers quietly.
      I smile, taking her face in my hands, a laugh suppressed in my throat.
      "I love you too, Lennon Faith Davis." I whisper back.
      I lean down, kissing her again, this time not a goodbye, but a new beginning to a long-time relationship rekindled. My hands wrap around her waist, pulling her close to me. Her arm wraps up and under my arms, her fingertips grazing my shoulders and spine. I back away from her, smiling at her.
      "I told you I'd kiss you when you came home," I say, pecking her lips again. "Welcome home, Lennon Davis."