𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 - 𝐬𝐢𝐱 | 𝐛𝐞𝐧𝐣𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐧

LENNON'S HAND FITS PERFECTLY IN MY OWN, like the missing puzzle piece to finish the picture

LENNON'S HAND FITS PERFECTLY IN MY OWN, like the missing puzzle piece to finish the picture. My hand wraps around hers, my thumb caressing hers gently. When we held hands back when we were kids, it felt childish and strange, a foreign feeling that I wasn't sure we were even allowed to do. But here, now, holding her hand as we walk back to my Mother's house, it's a familiar comfort. Like the kind of comfort you feel when your mother hums in the kitchen or when your father whistles. It's a comfort that I enjoy, a comfort that fills my chest. We pass the grocery store and Squints waves from inside again, this time on the phone, probably with a customer. He smiles and waves to Lennon, then returns to his phone call. His daughters run around the store, their laughter inaudible, but obviously loud based on their wide smiles and continued joy. We finally reach our little corner of the world, staring at the tree before Lennon's old home.
      "That tree had a lot of memories," Lennon says. "I hope that children in the future fall in love under that tree like we did."
      I smile and nod. We walk inside my Mother's house, smiling at her.
      "Mom, I haven't been a good son. I've lied to you, hidden things. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Mom." I exhale, dropping my head.
      She cups my cheek again, smiling up at me with her usual forgiving smile.
      "Benny, my boy, you are not a child anymore. You've been an adult for almost ten years now. You're allowed to have secrets. But, just so we're on the same page, what kind of secrets?" She asks.
      I clench my teeth together tightly and inhale with a hiss.
      "My address change?" I say in more of a question than a statement.
       She raises an eyebrow shakes her head, staring at me, shocked.
      "You moves and didn't tell me?" She asks. "Where have all my letters been going?"
      I smile and exhale, nodding to her. I look at Lennon then back at my Mother.
      "I've gotten all of your letters, I promise. I'll give you the updated address today before we leave." I say.
      She smiles and nods, easily brushing away the fact that Lennon and I are still holding hands.
      "When do I get to come see your new place?" She asks, an eyebrow raised.
      I smile, shocked by her question, and look at Lennon.
      "Today, I guess. I could drive you up to see it." I say.
      She shakes her head, a soft smile on her face. She takes my hand in her own, looking deep into my eyes.
      "I'll come up and see it another time, Benny. You have better things to do today than show your mother your house." She says.
      I smile and nod, kissing her cheek. Her tanned skin is rosy with blush and health.
      "Are some of my clothes still here? I'd love to change out of this uniform." I say.
      She nods, pointing to the stairs in the direction of the guest room.
      "I have some of your Shirts hanging in the guest room but the rest of your stuff is in your room." She says.
      I nod, looking to Lennon with an eyebrow raised momentarily.
       "I'll be right back," I say quickly, releasing her hand, my skin now cold where our hands once met.
      I walk to the stairs and climb them. I reach the second story where my bedroom is, as well as my Mother's bedroom and the bathrooms. I walk to the guest room, smiling when I see another green and white baseball tee. I remove my dirty Dodgers jersey and pull the shirt on. I walk to my room where I find a pair of casual jeans and pull them on, then grab a flannel to pull on over my tee. I grab my P.F. Flyers from the corner and change out of my cleats. I walk downstairs, exhaling sharply. I don't bother changing my cap, seeing as I always wear a dodgers cap.
      "That boy loves you with his whole heart, Lennon." My mother says.
      "And I love him with mine, Mama Rodriguez. I'm happy I came to talk with you that night." Lennon replies.
      I enter the kitchen and smile at both of them. The back door is open, the screen door letting in a gentle breeze throughout the house. Children run through the streets in large groups, running past the house. I step outside, waving a kid down.
      "Hey, what's going on? Where is everyone going?" I ask, an eyebrow raised.
      The kid is young, no older than ten, with freckles and a wide grin, similar to Smalls when we were younger.
      "There's something going on down at the baseball diamond. We're all headed to go look." He says.
      "Really, something at the diamond by Vincent's? What is it?" I ask.
      "It looks like a baseball game!" The kid replies. "But the only kids who ever actually played there haven't been back in years."
      I spin around and look at Lennon. She gasps and stands from her seat.
      "I've got some jeans and sneakers in my car just across the street. Let me go grab them." She says.
      I nod. She runs out the front door to her car and I step outside to Cal's car, grabbing her hat. She climbs out of her car, fully changed, smiling.
      "If we're playing ball, you're gonna need a hat." I say, smiling at her.
      She takes it and pulls it on, nodding to me. We step inside and I grab my glove and bat from my room.
      "Ma, you mind if we go play some ball? Or at least check out what's going on down there?" I ask.
      She shakes her head and smiles, a quiet laugh escaping her lips.
      "You kids go have fun. I'll see you when you get back," She says, waving to us.
      I take Lennon's hand and we run through the back door. We leap off of the back deck and run through the streets, hands still connected. We both wear our P.F. Flyers, running through alleyways and down sidewalks. We pass Vincent's grocery and the lights are off and the building is empty. Where's Squints? We continue running and pass a few groups of children as we pass Mr. Mertle's junkyard. We reach the fence and the Sandlot is surrounded. I squeeze my way through a group, dragging Lennon with me. We step onto the dirt and I laugh, smiling to Lennon.
      "We're really home," I say, leaning against my bat handle.
      Kenny stands on the mound and throws a pitch to Han who crouches at Home plate. Smalls stands in the outfield, Left-Center like that first day. Squints stands beside him in Right field. Timmy stands at first base, second base is left open where Bertram would be, Tommy stands at third and Yeah-Yeah stands in shortstop.
      "Jeez, Benny, we've been waiting for forever. Are we playing some ball or what?" Ham exclaims.