Chapter 31 - Girl on the Swing

"Fallon? Fallon?" Hazel frantically yelled into her phone.

She ran back to the others in Sarah's hospital room. "Guys! I think Fallon needs our help."

They charged out of the hospital building and ran down the road to the town park.

It was cold and strangely empty. Except for a lonely little girl in a back and forth trance on the swing.

Brooklyn walked up to her.

"Hello, have you by any chance seen a girl and a guy here, in the past hour?"

The girl looked up. "I saw a girl with a long white plait. A boy with big green eyes."

Big, grey clouds drooled in across the tired sky. I tiny fog dropped down, and wind picked up. A gust of brown and orange leaves floated at the ground.

"Do you know where they might have went?" Hazel asked. "Did you see?"

A little silver locket dangled around the girl's neck. It attacked Hazel's attention.

"I shouldn't be speaking to you." The girl had two icey-blue eyes that coldly stared straight at Brooklyn.

"Oh? And why is that?" She asked, irritated.

"Because my mum told me not to speak to strangers." The girl's frozen gaze turned at Hazel. "But you aren't strange, are you? So I think I'm allowed to speak to you."

The two looked at each other.

"Just tell us where the two went." Brooklyn sighed.

"The boy took the girl into the library. She didn't want to but he forced her. She wanted to scream but he didn't let do it."

"Ok. Thanks." Brooklyn stood up straight and ran across the square, to the big white stairs of the town library.

"Where's your momy?" Hazel turned back just before following Brooklyn.

"I'm not with my momy. I'm with my babysitter. She's called Ariana. She is really pretty."

Hazel had a thought coming but she brushed it away. She quickly nodded at the girl and ran after Brooklyn.

"What type of idea would it be to take someone who's frantically screaming for help, into a library?" Brooklyn examined a shelf of books by the entrance.

"Maybe because it's always so empty in here." Hazel shrugged and followed up behind her. "That girl... She sort of creeped my out."

"She was creepy. Those eyes. I'm sure she was wearing lenses." Brooklyn walked past the librarian's desk.

The woman sat behind it with her arms crossed, and big round glasses on the tip of her nose.

She ignored them completely as the walked past.

Brooklyn rolled down the sleaves of her coat. "Why is it so cold in here?"

"Out central heating system screwed itself up this morning." The librarian said. Her voice itself was frozen.

The two walked down an old, dusty book ile. Antique Novels. Ok.

The library was quiet and seemed like not a soal was there at this time except for the girls and the librarian.

"Hazel..." Whispered Brooklyn, pointing to a little open door behind one of the bookshelves.

"Oh god... don't tell me he..." Hazel gasped. "I'm not sure I want to go in there. It seems dark."

"You wait up here then."

Brooklyn went down the little stair case, lighting her way with her phone. The wooden stairs creaked annoyingly under her feet.

"No! Wait for me!" Hazel scurried down behind her.

This looked like a little storage room down here. This is probably where all the useless, destroyed books went.

It was even darker down here.

"There must be a light switch somewhere here." Brooklyn shone her phone on the walls.

"Why are we down here actually? Why would Fallon be here?" Hazel hesitated.

"Where else would he take her, other than the cellar under the library?" Brooklyn asked rhetorically.

Hazel shrugged.